3 days left
- Full Time
ITHAKA is seeking a web producer to work on JSTOR Daily (daily.jstor.org)—a news and culture website published by JSTOR that counts JK Rowling among its readers. The web producer will contribute to the magazine’s success by keeping production schedules on track and helping the editors publish top-notch, SEO-optimized content on a fast-paced schedule. If you are organized, detail-oriented, and love the idea of using your creativity to package content for the web, this is a great opportunity.
Working with a small distributed team of editors, the web producer will create engaging content for general readers, educators, and media influencers that will help grow the publication’s impact among all these constituents.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
Publishing production process (30%)
- Traffics manuscripts from copy editing to fact checking to publication
- Prepares posts for publication using Wordpress
- Adds SEO metadata, checking for keyword frequency on Google webmaster tools
- Tags all content in WordPress and maintains tag schema for full site
- Proofreads content entered into Wordpress by other editors
- Chooses pull quotes and adds other visual page elements to package the content for the web
- Helps research JSTOR sources for some posts and adds JSTOR Citation information to others
- Provisions JSTOR sources so they're freely available to JSTOR Daily readers
Image research and production (25%)
- Researches, acquires, and produces visual content for the site
- Makes sure we’re in compliance with copyright laws for images
- Sizes, otherwise edits, and uploads images to Wordpress
- Builds slide shows and other visual content
- Tracks image metadata, credits, rights, etc.
- Processes permissions and invoices for images purchased by JSTOR Daily
- Submits receipts for image invoices to marketing manager for expense report
Writing and editing (15%)
- Writes and builds two weekly newsletters
- Writes occasional posts for site; edits reading lists for the site
Administrative and user support: (25%)
- Generates contracts for writers, submits invoices
- Liaison between writers, Accounts Payable and Legal
- Monitors and responds to reader queries and comments
- Reports maintenance, site bugs, and performance issues
- Requests writer access to JSTOR and Wordpress
Content promotion and social media (5%)
- Helps editors with social media as needed
- Publicizes stories by pitching stories to news outlets
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 2-3 years of web production experience for an online publication or blog. Experience in a startup environment or on a new publication a plus.
- Familiarity with blogging software (WordPress), social media tools (e.g., Hootsuite or Sprout Social), project management tools (Basecamp, JIRA), image research, production and editing skills (Photoshop).
- Detail-oriented, able to multitask, comfortable in a support role.
- Strong written and oral skills; photo research and production skills. Strong planning and project management skills; ability to meet deadlines; goal-driven.
- An interest in academic research and scholarly publishing and a genuine passion for creating smart content that supports scholarship and education.
- Committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.”
- Bachelor’s degree at minimum.
Work for ITHAKA
Our team is passionate about our mission and supporting one another. We enjoy working together to create opportunities for people to learn and grow out in the world, and we bring that same commitment to helping our teammates develop in our careers and our lives. One of our core values is belonging. We embrace differences, and believe that the things that make each of us unique are the things that help us see new insights and build better solutions.
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA.
Interested candidates can submit their resume, a detailed cover letter, and salary requirements.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.