Digital Communications Manager
- Full Time
The Opportunity Agenda seeks an innovative Digital Communications Manager. The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity. We collaborate with social justice leaders, bringing communication expertise, creative engagement, and research to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting culture, and policy change. The Opportunity Agenda works on issues ranging from criminal justice reform and immigrant justice, to economic opportunity and ending poverty.
The Digital Communications Manager is situated at the center of the organization’s work. S/he will lead the development and implementation of all online platforms and social media outreach and engagement strategies, and serve as an essential driver and member of the team responsible for the organization’s online and rapid response campaigns.
Reporting to the Vice President for Strategy and Program Impact and working closely with the organization's Rapid Response, Research and Innovation, Narrative, Development and Program teams, the Digital Communications Manager will drive a vibrant online presence that engages existing audiences, reaches new target audiences, and builds The Opportunity Agenda’s online profile and impact. S/he will identify new and ongoing campaigns to assist the organization in reaching the goals of building its footprint and traction in a variety of circles, including but not limited to the social justice community at the national, state and local levels.
The Digital Communications Manager will: manage all related digital and online activity; build workplans in service to advancing the organization’s digital, online and campaign profile; advise staff and partners on best practices in delivering social media that is grounded in values-based messaging; and develop and implement a training curriculum for the organization’s key constituents, ranging from grassroots social justice groups and national advocacy partners, to artists and culture makers committed to social change.
The Digital Communications Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead, create and implement dynamic digital communications strategies across multiple social media platforms that advance the mission, goals and objectives of The Opportunity Agenda and our partners in the field;
- Manage and relate to consultants responsible for the organization’s digital work (e.g., website and social media consultants as appropriate
- Maintain and improve The Opportunity Agenda’s current website;
- Apply strategic approaches and best practices to online outreach and marketing, including identifying target audiences and determining the most effective digital communication techniques for reaching and engaging those audiences;
- Play an active and driving role in the team responsible for managing, writing and editing compelling editorial content for the organization’s website and social media platforms, and insure that all online content is consistent with The Opportunity Agenda’s mission and editorial voice;
- Support management of The Opportunity Agenda’s blog, reach out to guest bloggers, and expand cross- posting;
- Translate complex ideas and data into digestible and compelling language for online platforms;
- Design a curriculum and conduct trainings, webinars and other media for social media strategies and implementation for The Opportunity Agenda’s partners in the field;
- Design online multimedia content, ranging from infographics and memes to video blogs and photo essays;
- Monitor, share, and integrate emerging best practices in digital communications;
- Establish and report on metrics to identify reach, engagement, and retention, to inform and guide best practices and improve digital strategy and direction;
- Collaborate with editorial, communication, program and development staff to create and maintain a digital editorial/event calendar, increase the reach and saturation of the organization;
- Identify and manage digital and website consultants as appropriate; and
- Build and maintain project-based websites, and additional platforms, as needed.
Skills and Experience
- BA and/or training preferably in a communications related field;
- Online campaign experience;
- Minimum 3 years of experience managing websites, and designing and implementing successful digital outreach and marketing for nonprofit organizations;
- Proven track record in social justice communications to advance policy and culture change;
- Keen strategic thinking and visioning skills and ability to integrate digital strategies as an integral component of overall engagement and campaign strategies;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to translate complex ideas and data into compelling web and online copy, writing in a professional but unique social media “voice” that reflects the organization's branding and mission;
- Technical proficiency in HTML, open source CMS (Drupal and Word Press) and databases, blog platforms, SEO, web metrics software, and visual design programs;
- Mastery of social media platforms and the ability to identify and deploy new platforms as needed;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Basic knowledge of multimedia editing software such as Final cut a major plus; and
- Bilingual skills highly desired, but not required.
- 3-5 years of experience in web management and digital and social media marketing and outreach;
- Demonstrated successes integrating social media channels and websites as part of an overall outreach and engagement program;
- Experience in a non-profit environment highly preferable;
- Commitment to The Opportunity Agenda’s mission, vision and values;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a wide and diverse population;
- A sense of humor, modesty, and collaborative spirit;
- Goal oriented and self-motivated;
- Collaborative and respectful work style;
- Solid history of working well with a variety of departments and key stakeholders; and
- Proven ability to work well and collaborate within and across teams.
The incumbent will have daily interaction with following internal departments: Development, Communications, and Operations. They will also have frequent interaction with other The Opportunity Agenda colleagues, partners, funders and Tides Center staff.
Regularly required, in an 8-hour day, to sit for 5-8 hours; stand/walk/move around for 1-4 hours. Lift up to 10lbs.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate; lighting is in the standard range. Work in an open space office.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA:
The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab. We believe in the power of communication and collaboration to drive lasting change. We collaborate with social justice leaders to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting culture and policy change. Through a combination of communication expertise, creative engagement, and research, we amplify the inspirational voices of opportunity. Based in New York City, The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit organization dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity. To learn more about The Opportunity Agenda, go to our website www.opportunityagenda.org.The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application."
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position will be determined based on experience and skills. Health, dental and vision insurance are provided as well as life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending, and 403(b) retirement accounts. Generous vacation package.
LOCATION: New York, NY
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample and include “Digital Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please.