- Full Time
Reporting to the Chief Content Officer, the Managing Editor is a key member of the YR senior content team, joining us at an exciting new phase of national growth and expansion.
The Managing Editor is responsible for creating a workflow that integrates the best of YR content in-house and from our national network and delivers it to our growing audience, through our new digital platform and brand. S/he has experience working with different content teams and integrating numerous channels under one brand. As part of the executive content team, s/he facilitates the development of compelling journalistic and arts content.
The Managing Editor will build out the YR video and visual strategy and team, across the brand.
We’re looking for someone with keen editorial judgment and extensive experience developing and implementing content strategies to enhance our web traffic and brand awareness. We seek an individual with compelling creativity who also encourages the creativity of others while embracing diversity of coverage and a commitment to YR’s mission.
- Lead a team of both youth and adult staff, including reporters, producers and editors in editorial excellence, building a dynamic daily news and content operation.
- Build a video strategy, workflow and team that includes in-house, commissioned and curated content that integrates into both the news and arts channels.
- Support the arts team and content with additional strategy and integrated workflow.
- Supervise news and video teams.
- Develop an editorial strategy, tone and voice that leads with long and short form video and visuals.
- Ensure content is compelling, surprising, on-brand and when possible making a difference to communities and social progress.
- Leverage audience data to shape content and engagement strategies, focusing on YR’s target audience of 18-27 year olds.
- Inspire the newsroom team to seek excellence, work hard and take creative risks.
- Be a leader in building our new brand.
- Embrace and foster a culture of collaboration, dynamic innovation and continued learning in pursuit of editorial excellence, creativity and impact.
- Have fun with it!
Skills & Qualifications
- 5-10 years as a leader in highly accomplished digital newsroom, leading with video.
- Extensive experience with arts and culture content.
- Demonstrated excellence in video content production, workflows and strategy.
- Experience in launching and building a new brand.
- Experience with brands that engage younger audiences.
- Impeccable news judgment and a significant record of accomplishment in leading journalists to produce work of distinction and community impact.
- Excellent writing, editing, communication and organizational skills.
- Passion for building diverse and inclusive teams across channels or departments.
- Experience using audience metrics as a guide to content strategy and pivots.
- Strong relationship builder with experience building successful partnerships within and beyond the organization.
Headquartered in Oakland, CA, Youth Radio is a one-of-a-kind, youth-driven production company which, through a variety of outlets including our own platform, reaches audiences in the tens of millions. YR is the winner of multiple journalism honors including the Peabody, Columbia-Dupont, Kennedy, Murrow, and White House Awards.
We are at a pivotal point in the organization’s life as we enter into an exciting phase of growth and expansion as a national network. As we grow, we seek exceptional talent with an entrepreneurial spirit, who can lead us to the future of Youth Radio.
At Youth Radio we hire smart, passionate people who connect with our values and seek a collaborative environment where employees can do their best work. We seek people who are hard-working, creative, fun and driven to go above and beyond to take our organization to the next level. We hire people who believe in the talent and potential of every young person and consider it a great opportunity to collaborate with them to create something new and important.
We are committed to the principles of equal opportunity and diversity and to attracting and supporting a staff who represents the rich diversity of the communities we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or mental or physical disability.