- Full Time
W. W. Norton is seeking a Project Manager to join the team building Norton’s digital products. The Project Manager is responsible for keeping a project moving in a forward direction. This position brings together the resources needed to achieve a successful deliverable. This position tracks the various teams within IT and the Product group and communicates milestones and objectives so that each independent team can meet the expected deadline. Through collaboration with the Business Owner, the Project Manager manages the overall project goals and scope. This position reports to the Director of Project Management and is based out of our New York office.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Leads project planning and implementation for projects in a product line.
• Serves as Scrum Master for the developers on the team – leading scrum ceremonies, clearing obstacles and ensuring the team is working effectively.
• Works with the Business Owner/Product Manager to facilitate creation and maintenance of the Project Roadmap.
• Works with the Business Owner/Product Manager to turn the product roadmap into executable projects
• Establishes the RACI matrix for projects in a product line.
• Follows and schedules projects – as per the Project Roadmap defined by the Business Owner.
• Sets schedules and milestones with inputs from all other teams assigned to that product, manages project scope and timelines.
• Works with Business Owner/Product Manager to ensure that the product vision and high-level business objectives are clear and achievable.
• Ensures that the functional requirements are tracked, achievable, and met.
• Works closely with the Business Owner/Product Manager, Business Analyst, QA Manager and Product Specialist assigned to that product line.
• Coordinates sprint advancement (from QA to stakeholder review, and from stakeholder review to production release).
• Helps to manage dependencies among cross-product teams.
• Gathers information from technical leads, QA leads and business analysts into recommendations.
• Collaborates and communicates with stakeholders, developers, technical team members and designers.
• Helps to identify, classify, and manage risk for functional improvement requests.
• Responsible for any schedules, milestones, communication, and status updates – with inputs from other teams.
• Provides detailed reporting to management on project status, risk assessments, and milestone completion.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
• Minimum of 5 years of relevant Project Management experience.
• Familiar and comfortable with Agile methodologies.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification or equivalent work experience (desirable).
• Experience working with e-learning and blended learning programs, web-based training development, and asynchronous learning content.
• Proficiency using commonly accepted scheduling and project management tools.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Good leadership and persuasion skills.
• Ability to organize and work under strict time and production deadlines, while producing quality deliverables.
• Ability to adapt to different team styles and dynamics.
• Excellent analytical, problem identification and problem solving skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to understand and communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical colleagues.
• Highly self-motivated and self-managed; ability to work independently and as part of a team with minimal coaching or supervision.
• Flexible and focused.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Minimal travel (as required).
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s NYC office.
W. W. Norton & Company has been publishing good books since 1923. As an independent company owned wholly by its employees, we are unique among publishers and offer a different kind of company culture. As employee owners, we all work hard to achieve a common goal: to produce the best books and media possible--valuing the content above all--at ethical prices. In our 93-year history, Norton has published the work of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. We have produced books that are warmly received and books that stir up controversy. But one thing never changes—our commitment to remain a strong, independent house that seeks out the best authors and scholarship to challenge, engage, and educate students and the public.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.