- Full Time
As a Designer in the Sterling Art Department, you will be responsible for creating the book interior design concept, full implementation and layout, and routing of approximately 25-30 titles per year for the Sterling adult trade and bargain lists. The Designer will work with freelance designers and illustrators as well as the Photo, Editorial, Managing Editorial and Production departments within Sterling.
- Responsible for maintaining schedules and communications between the photo, editorial, and production departments to ensure timely execution of book designs from manuscript to bound book.
- Implements and enforces pre-press requirements following Sterling Guidelines on their own projects, and also communicates them to freelance designers when required.
- Creates Sales Materials for all assigned projects 9-months prior to the designated pub date.
- Responsible for evaluating interior color proofs and implementing any design and editorial corrections.
- Attends and actively participates in regular design review and weekly status meetings.
- Supports the Art Director and Senior Designer with their project workload as needed.
- Additional job duties or responsibilities as needed
- 4 year college degree, preferably in Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3 years experience as a Designer within book publishing.
- Strong organization, time-management, written and oral communication skills.
- Team-oriented and works well in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- A strong portfolio of original book interior graphic design examples showing creative and appropriate use of typography with design ability ranging from contemporary to traditional.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Adobe Creative Suite. InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, and Acrobat with knowledge of their application in book design.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office. Excel experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of pre-press requirements, proofing, and book manufacturing process.