Senior Communications Officer
- Full Time
Position: Senior Communications Officer
Location: Washington DC
Reports to: Senior Director of Development and Communications
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
The Senior Communications Officer (SCO) will help develop, implement, and manage a communications strategy aimed at growing RI’s audiences and stewarding its brand. The organization is about to begin building a new website and the SCO will play a major role in the decision making and driving the strategy of the website design with the third-party company we are in the process of choosing.
The SCO will leverage digital communications tools, such as social media, email, owned and earned media, to advance RI’s visibility and underpin private sector fundraising goals. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development and Communications based in Washington, DC, the SCO will help the team drive a strategic vision for integrated communications and development activities. It is an exciting opportunity to drive a joint expansion of public relations and the creation of the organization’s first unrestricted revenue plan, which aims to raise $5 million annually. The position will join a growing team based in Washington, DC and London, United Kingdom.
Position Responsibilities and Duties :
- Content Marketing: Distill RI’s complex relief and development programming activities and outcomes into engaging, accessible marketing content for a variety of audiences. Develop multi-channel marketing campaigns to drive awareness of and engagement with RI’s mission.
- Communications: Develop communications strategies that bolster RI’s reputation as a leading international relief and development organization. Craft messages that engage philanthropists, the press, thought leaders, and the general public. Build productive relationships with journalists, write effective pitches and press releases, edit newsletters, and plan and implement successful conference call series for donors.
- Social Media: Devise and implement the organization’s social media strategy. Manage all institutional social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram) with support from junior members of the team for whom the SCO will provide guidance on this activity. Advise colleagues from upper management to junior staff on how to build their brand on social media to promote RI’s visibility objectives.
- Email Marketing: Support team members in devising and executing email strategies that effectively engage constituents. Support the team in developing email best practices for the organization.
- Advise on major infrastructure decisions, website platform selection and implementation of the new website strategy. Maintain the website with support from team members.
- Initiate opportunities for media coverage. Build and maintain strategic partnerships with national and global media with support from junior members of the team and field staff.
- Advertising: Implemented paid advertising campaigns that activate target audiences and meet stated goals. Strategize which platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Google Display, etc., drive the greatest ROI.
- Regularly analyze and report on RI communications performance.
- BA in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Journalism or related field.
- Have 3-5 years of digital communications experience working for a nonprofit, media outlet, marketing or ad agency preferably in an international development context.
- Possess excellent skills in: Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and Content Management Systems. Basic design and HTML skills strongly preferred.
- Familiar with online fundraising, email marketing and donation platforms. CRM experience a plus.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of international relief and development or related fields; prior experience working at an international organization strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated capacity for effective teamwork and leadership abilities
- Excellent problem solver eager to share out-of-the-box ideas.
- Excellent organizational abilities with strong skill managing multiple projects.
- Fast, flexible thinker who is able to shift gears on short notice.
Relief International's Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation