News Applications Developer
- Full Time
The Chronicle of Higher Education seeks a News Applications Developer to join its Data and Interactives team, which works with both The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Chronicle of Philanthropy. The News Applications Developer creates large- and small-scale data- and multimedia-driven projects that help The Chronicle effectively present news and data online. Using the latest web technologies, the developer will create engaging and informative data-driven news applications and multimedia narrative stories. This role reports to the senior interactive news producer and will work with other members of the Data and Interactives team, the Visuals department as well as reporters and editors in both newsrooms.
- Work with Chronicle editors, reporters and Visuals staff to conceive of and plan interactive news projects and news applications.
- Design and develop these projects following an established workflow in collaboration with team members.
- Work with data as part of creating news projects.
- Find ways to streamline processes and incorporate new methods to keep pace with industry leaders.
- Plan and execute online editorial projects, set milestones and deadlines, and collaborate with editors to set goals for these projects.
- Assist web producers in publishing and presenting editorial content on chronicle.com and philanthropy.com.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent 1-3 years’ experience in interactive journalism.
- Familiarity with web application frameworks. Knowledge of other frameworks a plus.
- Experience working with data and MySQL.
- Experience with visualizing data and familiarity with the D3 data visualization libraries.
- Familiarity with working with APIs to store and retrieve data.
- Excellent time and project management skills, ability to multitask.
- Enthusiastic collaborator and open to feedback and critique.
- Understanding and appreciation for the journalistic mission.
- Familiarity with higher education or nonprofit/990 tax return data is a plus.
- Familiarity with critical data analysis using Python or R.
- Possess a strong work ethic, a commitment to meeting deadlines and a desire to expand your knowledge.