The Managing Editor will help craft and execute the strategic vision for KXAS news operations. This position oversees an assignment desk that services both KXAS and KXTX, the Telemundo owned station in Dallas. That means a successful candidate will work with both KXAS and KXTX on daily news gathering, planning, scheduling and breaking news execution. A keen understanding of news cycles for broadcast and digital platforms, as well as an exceptional level of news judgment is vital to succeed in this role. In addition, Managing Editor will edit and approve reporter scripts. This position reports directly to the VP, News KXAS and spearheads the content planning and acquisition strategy. He or she will inspire and instill confidence in the staff, and foster teamwork and collaboration. The Managing Editor is responsible for keeping his or her hands on the pulse of the North Texas Community. Directly manage a team of reporters for KXAS.
Enterprise strong unique local content and meet deadlines.
Communicate clear expectations for quality content and the needs of our audiences across all platforms.
Help guide news staff in journalism best practices and content showcasing on all platforms.
Embrace diversity of thought in story selection and execution.
Hold staff accountable for content that is balanced, fair, accurate and complete, incorporating where appropriate a diverse range of sources.
Oversee short-and long-term planning for content, both breaking news and enterprise, and drive team coverage of big breaking stories and severe weather.
Edit reporter scripts for both factual content and style.
Coordinate breaking news coverage and allocation of duopoly resources.
Plan and share content across platforms of TV and Digital.
Plan and share content with news partners (The Dallas Morning News, Entercom Communications, NBC). Share resources when possible
Communicate individual and team goals clearly.
Motivate, coach, develop and keep staff focused to ensure excellent performance.
Manage and review performance, and address quality and productivity performance issues.
Create development plans to help staff embrace strengths and challenges, and share and grow their abilities.
Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related broadcast field or equivalent experience.
Minimum 5 years of experience in newsgathering, news production and/or news operations.
Minimum 3 years management and leadership experience of functions and personnel.
Additional Job Requirements
- External applicants must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered (Note- job #).
- Must be willing to work at the station location south of DFW airport
- Must be 18 years or greater
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
- Must accept Solutions as NBCUniversal’s Alternative Dispute Resolution program
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related broadcast field
- Demonstrate strong management, leadership, communication, collaborative and customer service (internal and external) skills, and a passion for self-development
- Proactive, flexible, adaptable, energetic, organized, detailed oriented and able to multi-task and problem solve in a high-energy, fast-paced and constantly transforming environment.
- Proven ability to train as a subject matter expert.
- Proven ability to take a results-oriented approach to work and leverage resources for competitive advantage.
- Demonstrate a highly developed skill as a critical thinker to work with other managers and staff to spot reporting holes, bias and other issues.
- Possess an understanding of the technologies used in the newsroom including Chyron, iNews, Stratus, News Ticker and various digital search tools.
- Proven ability to use time effectively, efficiently and productively, and meet deadlines.
- Bi-Lingual English/Spanish a plus
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.