Palgrave Macmillan specialises in cutting-edge academic books in the Humanities and Social Sciences. It publishes monographs, journals, textbooks, professional and reference works, in subjects ranging from Political Science, Economics and History, to Literature, Linguistics and Business.
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and highly organized Editorial Assistant to provide support to the Senior Commissioning Editor of Psychology and Science & Technology Studies and the Commissioning Editor of Sociology and Anthropology. The ideal candidate will be meticulously organized, target-driven, commercially aware, and passionate about scholarly publishing.
The Editorial Assistant will not only provide valuable support to the two Commissioning Editors via administrative work and project management, but also foster strong working relationships with authors, series editors, and peer reviewers.
- Manage the peer review process to assist the Editors in meeting commissioning targets
- Ensure that author contracts and paperwork are processed, completed, and logged
- Liaise with authors to regularly monitor progress of manuscript and provide support throughout the writing process (chasing)
- Write and edit marketing and editorial information (cover copy and endorsements) for accuracy and SEO-compliance through title management systems
- Prepare final manuscripts for handover to Production, checking for formatting, permissions, and content
- Communicate with colleagues in Production, Marketing, Sales, and the wider Editorial team where necessary
- Respond and action author queries quickly and accurately, from the beginning of the process to post-publication, escalating issues to Editors or with wider teams where necessary
- Some attendance at academic conferences may be required
- Commissioning responsibilities and involvement in list strategy introduced with experience
Experience, skills and qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent)
• Organizational, prioritization, and administrative skills
• Excellent communication and team-working skills to professionally engage with internal colleagues and scholars in the social science community
• A resourceful and proactive approach to and attitude toward issues and queries raised internally and externally
• Commercial and publishing business awareness, along with a willingness to learn the publishing landscape
• Independent and collaborative working styles, along with the ability to transition seamlessly between the two
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (particularly Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel)
• Experience in a fast-paced office environment or working with editorial systems is an advantage, but not essential
This is the perfect position for someone wanting to establish a career in academic publishing. While previous publishing or office experience would be advantageous, any candidate with an interest in academic research, a proven track record of professional and prompt communication, strong organizational and prioritization skills, and a calm, professional approach to his or her work should apply.
This position will be based in New York. Applicants must have an existing right to live and work in the US.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf.
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.