- Full Time
The Newsday.com News Editor helps run the homepage and mobile fronts at one of the nation's leading newspaper, located in the New York metropolitan area.
The News Editor also takes a leading role in finding opportunities to grow Long Island audiences and engagement by identifying potentially underserved segments of the community, creating digital content and shaping our strategies.
- Runs day-to-day programming and breaking news coverage
- Oversees web producers and interns
- Closely monitors and analyzes metrics, audience data and other media websites
- Creates compelling multimedia stories and projects
- Works with editors, photographers, videographers and other staff across department lines to coordinate digital coverage
- Represents the digital team in daily and other meetings
- Helps develop and implement strategies to improve site design and usability to grow subscribers
- In time, helps develop and oversee digital projects such as those found at newsday.com/data
- This position requires working one weekend day
Our ideal candidate has:
- Managed a news website, homepage or section front
- Strong news judgment and breaking news experience
- A commitment to a high standard of journalism with a keen attention to detail
- The ability to work quickly, accurately, juggle a variety of tasks and stay calm under pressure
- A track record of creating compelling online content and meeting metrics goals
- Excellent managerial and communication skills
- Solid copy editing and writing skills- Knowledge of social media, HTML, photo editing, mobile apps and the latest news practices
Experience and qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years of newsroom web producing experience.
- Worked with a web publishing content management system.
- Familiar with Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics or other metrics platforms.
- Reliable transportation to and from Newsday’s suburban Melville office.
-The person in this position needs to occasionally move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
-Ability to utilize a computer keyboard, computer monitor, and telephone for prolonged periods of time.
- Competitive compensation package
- Generous PTO and holidays
- Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- Commuter Benefits program
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.