Publicist, Children’s Books
- Full Time
ABRAMS seeks an enthusiastic individual with superior organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and previous experience in a children’s book publicity department to join the ABRAMS team as Publicist for its Abrams Books for Young Readers, Amulet Books, and Abrams Appleseed imprints. This position reports to the Associate Director, Children’s Publicity.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work independently to publicize numerous children’s books each season, including:
- creating press materials (press releases, pitch letters, full press kits);
- generating targeted media lists and executing mailings;
- pitching print, broadcast, radio, and online media.
- Executing multi-market author tours, including:
- Pitching and communicating with bookstore staff;
- Coordinating travel and building schedules;
- Securing tour media coverage.
- Organizing authors’ presence at literary festivals, which will entail pitching authors, booking travel, creating author schedules, and local media outreach.
- Building strong relationships with a broad range of children’s book authors, bookstore staff, and media contacts.
- Traveling with touring authors and to conferences and trade shows; attending local bookstore and press events when necessary.
- Assisting Associate Director with the execution of key PR campaigns, including media and event support.
- 3-4 years of experience in children’s book publicity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Passionate about children’s, middle-grade and young adult books.
- Strong project and time management ability.
- Detail oriented with ability to handle multiple, complex projects.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in writing/producing social media content.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, and Cision.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a willingness to travel with authors, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree