- Full Time
The Chronicle of Higher Education is looking for an accomplished and innovative top editor to lead a talented and ambitious newsroom into the future. The editor will possess a proven ability to inspire journalists, connect deeply with a professional audience, and translate a journalistic vision into high-impact success.
We are searching for: an entrepreneurial and digitally fluent journalist; a passionate advocate for our mission to inform with intelligence the higher-education audience; a champion of enterprise and explanatory journalism; a proven collaborator with a track record of developing successful editorial products; and an excellent leader, manager, and coach who attracts, develops, and retains top talent.
- Act as member of the company’s executive team to develop and carry out the company’s vision and strategy
- Establish editorial vision; set editorial direction; define and execute content strategy
- Drive overall excellence of editorial products, reader experience, and audience engagement
- Work with other stakeholders to expand our audience
- Lead newsroom of 60-plus reporters, editors, and designers
- Establish a shared vision, expectations, and culture of best practices
- Develop editorial elements of new products and services
- Outstanding editorial, managerial, and leadership skills
- Success at shaping a powerful editorial vision and strategy
- Broad journalism experience marked by high-impact online success
- Significant experience in leading newsrooms through successful transformations
- Proven ability to lead teams and inspire journalists to do their best work
- Effective leader, manager, coach
- Strong business acumen, with track record of developing successful editorial products
- A profound commitment to journalistic quality and the value of excellent storytelling
- Deep interest in, and affinity for, understanding and serving a professional higher-education audience
- Excellent communication skills; a compelling public voice and ambassador for The Chronicle
The Chronicle of Higher Education has the nation’s largest newsroom dedicated to covering colleges and universities. As the unrivaled leader in higher-education journalism, we serve our readers with indispensable real-time news and deep insights, plus essential tools, career opportunities, and knowledge to succeed in a rapidly changing world.
Our award-winning journalism is well-known: More than two million people visit our website every month, and 1,650 organizations across the country make our journalism available through campus-wide site-license programs. Our newsroom is home to dedicated journalists whose expertise informs a deep understanding of higher education and whose work drives the conversations on issues that matter.
The Chronicle of Higher Education Inc. is a privately owned, independent news and information organization founded in 1966. The Chronicle publishes The Chronicle of Higher Education (chronicle.com), The Chronicle of Philanthropy (philanthropy.com), and Arts & Letters Daily (aldaily.com).
To apply, please send your resume along with an explanation and evidence of why you’re the best person for this role via the link provided.
The Chronicle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.