- Full Time
W.W. Norton is seeking a talented designer to join its College Production department. This individual will be responsible for designing and managing textbook interiors and covers for a variety of disciplines including Political Science, Biology, History, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Literature, Anthropology, Music and Film. This person will attend meetings, consult with editors, art directors, and collaborate with the creative team. This position reports directly to the Design Director.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Create original designs for the College list with guidance from the Design Director and senior members of the team.
- Work on design revisions for new editions of College textbooks.
- Adapt book designs for E-book, Custom, High School, and Instructors’ editions.
- Keep supervisor updated on the status of each project, prioritize schedules, problem-solve and meet all deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with freelancers, editors, production managers and the design team.
- Provide general assistance on other tasks as assigned.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in Graphic Design).
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in book or magazine publishing.
- Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills.
- Must have a strong portfolio showing complicated, text-heavy page layouts in a range of styles that complement the diversity of Norton’s publishing program.
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop,
- and Acrobat).
- Experience with HTML and CSS.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US.
- Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s New York City headquarters.
Please note that applications without attached or linked portfolios will not be considered.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital resources that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.