Vice President, Digital Strategy
- Full Time
Vice President, Digital Strategy
Reports to: Senior Vice President, Communications, CAP
Staff reporting to this position: Digital Strategy team
Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress seeks a highly motivated Vice President of Digital Strategy to bring a combination of creative, technology, and marketing experience, with proven success leading projects within advocacy organizations. This position will be empowered to execute American Progress’ digital content strategy at the executive level. The Vice President of Digital Strategy will define, measure, and drive a world-class user experience across all of the organization’s platforms to inform, empower, organize, and activate progressives across the country around American Progress’ content.
To succeed in this role, the ideal candidate will be creative, perceptive, and data-driven, as well as a reliable problem-solver. He or she will have a deep familiarity with the digital tools and methods required to reach as many progressive leaders and changemakers as possible. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable in a collaborative environment and will know how to achieve consensus. The Vice President of Digital Strategy will also focus on ensuring that American Progress’ content reinforces a clear and consistent brand across all digital platforms.
- Define, drive, and maintain digital content strategy across the organization, ensuring that it represents the organization’s goals and mission.
- Work in tandem with the position’s counterpart at the Center for American Progress Action Fund to ensure digital, message, and mission cohesion across the institution, as well as to ensure the sharing of best practices.
- Analyze current staff and recruit new talent to build CAP’s digital abilities; lead and mentor a cross-team pool of employees to meet growing digital marketing demands.
- Engage with policy teams and provide digital strategy support to drive integrated issue engagement across CAP through various digital distribution channels, including mobile and web, email marketing, outreach, social media, and other channels.
- Deepen CAP’s digital innovation capabilities to generate and transform traditional approaches into successful new ideas.
- Measure and analyze the success of the user experience both in absolute terms and in comparison with competitors and determine goals for improvement. Collect and analyze feedback from stakeholders to shape requirements and prioritize features and issues.
- Identify and refine understanding of target audiences and work with teams to sharpen American Progress’ digital strategy focus.
- Develop and maintain CAP’s brand across new and emerging digital platforms, ensuring that there is a clear narrative about both what we stand for and what we are working toward.
- Partner with the Development team to create an organized, effective, and memorable content experience that drives growth and retention of progressives as consumers of our content and ultimately brings donors to the organization.
- Monitor content performance against strategic goals and develop roadmaps to tackle opportunities and problem areas.
- Collaborate with senior leadership on alignment to strategic goals and communicate with leadership on progress and major milestones achieved.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- 10–20 years of experience in digital and content strategy, including in a senior management role
- Direct experience in a highly visible and cross-functional role with proven success collaborating and communicating with production, operational, content, technical, and development teams
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects and priorities and experience leading website and digital redesigns are critical
- Broad range of experience working with multiple CRMs and CMSes
- Excellent communication and troubleshooting skills
- Strong organizational and leadership skills
- A passion for progressive policy with an entrepreneurial mindset, including a focus on possibilities instead of obstacles
- Proven ability to navigate ambiguity and change
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Demonstrated aptitude for self-sufficiency and self-direction