Immigration/Homeland Security Writer, CNN Politics
- Full Time
This is our story. We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN. See what it’s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. What part will you play?
This position is primarily a writing role with a focus on immigration and homeland security.
- Cultivate sources among federal agencies, advocacy groups, legal experts and others to break news and drive coverage.
- Monitor internal news gathering threads, on-air interviews and reporting, and competing news outlets' coverage to coordinate with editors about needed content for CNN platforms.
- Conceptualize and write content focused on a user-driven strategy that understands the nuances of packaging content for the web, mobile web, social (primarily Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and leading social messaging apps), and apps.
- Pitch non-breaking stories as time allows and news warrants to dive deeper into the issues and experiences defining national debates.
- Work with editors to produce sections, special coverage pages, or the home page as needed.
- Create sharp headlines.
- Prioritize the most social stories.
- Make independent judgments and decisions on whether content is native to mobile, and it is suitable for our platforms and audiences.
- Have a passion for political news and be unafraid to build the future of journalism on the web with the urgency politics demands and determined to define some of the country's most important political stories for the mobile social generation of news consumers.
What do we need from you?
- Typically has 4 or more years of progressively complex related experience.
- College degree or equivalent industry experience.
- Excellent Writing and research skills
- High metabolism for news
- Flexibility and ability to juggle multiple task at once
But wait, there’s more!
- Paid time off every year to volunteer
- 2016 Best Company for Working Mothers
- An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
- Part of the Time Warner family of powerhouse brands like HBO, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TNT, and TBS
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers Minorities/Females/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Protected Veterans/Disabled. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and its subsidiaries are E-Verify users.