Palgrave Macmillan is a global academic publisher for scholarship, research and professional learning. We publish monographs, journals, reference works and professional titles, online and in print. With a focus on the humanities, business and social sciences, Palgrave Macmillan offers authors and readers the very best in academic content whilst also supporting the community with innovative new formats and tools..
Executive Editor - Literature
London or New York
Closing Date: 21st October 2018
We have an exciting opportunity in our humanities team for an Executive Editor (equivalent to Publisher) to commission in and drive the management and strategic development of our market-leading Literature list. Literature is one of Palgrave Macmillan's oldest and most distinguished lists, maintaining an impressive balance between the traditional areas of scholarship alongside new, emerging areas and publishing across a wide range of formats from scholarly monographs to major reference works to high-profile publicity titles. Based in either our London or New York office, the Executive Editor will head up a commissioning team of five across the UK and US to implement a clear vision and strategy for the list, maintaining Palgrave's position as the publisher of choice in this area and driving revenue and list growth. This is a prestigious, outwards-facing role where you will be expected to speak at various events, foster new partnerships and create new products to enhance the reputation of our well-established brand. It will also involve wider responsibilities across the humanities team and wider department as necessary.
Reporting to the Editorial Director for Humanities, the ideal candidate will be commercially aware, target-minded, energetic, driven and passionate about scholarly publishing.
• Acquire new titles in Literature and manage the list day to day, extending our reputation in this subject area.
• Campus visits and conference attendance as determined by the needs of the Literature list
• Implement a clear vision and strategy for significant growth for the Literature team, including a plan for how Palgrave will retain its competitive edge
• Work with the Editorial Director for Humanities to position Palgrave as the natural ally of the Humanities
• Ensure Palgrave remains ahead in terms of our digital initiatives, including Palgrave Pivot and Palgrave Open
• Manage a global team of Editors
Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• Have extensive experience of publishing for the academic community, ideally in a relevant subject area, with proven ability to deliver a profitable publishing programme
• Demonstrate strong managerial experience, with the ability to drive a team to meet targets and excel - experience of managing teams globally would be a plus
• Demonstrate advanced strategic thinking and the ability to implement a clear vision for the development of the team, and in positioning Palgrave against competitors
• Have excellent commercial judgement and analytical ability
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations.