Audience Engagement Associate
- Full Time
Rewire.News (www.rewire.news) is a nonprofit journalism outlet devoted to publishing evidence-based news, analysis, commentary, and investigative reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice. Our work is based on the core roles of journalism in a democratic society: to speak truth to power, foster public knowledge, and provide facts on issues more commonly shrouded in misinformation and ideology. Rewire.News is an independent 501(c)(3) and an equal opportunity employer; we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all races, ethnic groups, and genders.
POSITION DESCRIPTION Rewire.News seeks an Audience Engagement Associate to assist the team in increasing readership and visibility of our work. The Audience Engagement Associate will be responsible for producing dynamic emails for our readership, growing educational efforts for political and advocacy entities, as well as supporting our media outreach and social media efforts.
The ideal candidate is a creative, innovative, scrappy self-starter with a great sense of humor who can function as both a one-person show and as part of a team. This position will report to Rewire.News’ VP of Development.
A deep understanding of issues pertaining to reproductive and sexual justice and a commitment to evidencebased journalism is key to success in this position. The Audience Engagement Associate will be responsible for:
- Creating engaging, dynamic, content-appropriate emails on a daily and weekly basis and growing our email engagement;
- Growing our educational outreach to political, policy, advocacy, and affinity entities;
- Promoting Rewire.News work, including coordinating screenings and panels, identifying opportunities for media outreach and education, etc.;
- Working with other staff as appropriate to create, articulate, and carry out comprehensive short- and long-term engagement strategies;
- Assisting with weekly media outreach, including tracking media for weekly and monthly reports, updating lists, and affinity group data;
- Assisting with social media content creation and strategy execution;
- Serving as backup for media outreach and social media;
- Research on a variety of topics, including audience engagement best practices;
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position demonstrates:
- Demonstrated experience creating engaging, dynamic, content-appropriate emails and newsletters;
- Excellent oral, writing, and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to adapt style and tone to different audiences;
- Deep understanding of email marketing software (Pardot / NPSP a plus);
- Organization, attention to detail, and ability to meet deadlines with excellent analytical and problemsolving skills;
- Demonstrated experience as a disciplined self-starter who can set and achieve goals and is comfortable working remotely;
- Ability to take direction and critique;
- Ability to work quickly and effectively in a fast-paced environment, including multitasking (a critical aspect of this position);
- Creativity, idea sharing, and a strong sense of humor, delivering great work with ease and grace;
- Familiarity with media outreach and promotion;
- Understanding digital strategies and social media landscape;
- Research experience a plus.
LOCATION Rewire.News is a virtual organization. Candidates must reside in the DC Metro Area and have a home or other location with secure internet access from which to work.
COMPENSATION Rewire.News offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes a 401(k) plan with employer contributions; health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; vacation and sick leave; and employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, STD and LTD. Salary range: mid-fifties to mid-sixties, depending on demonstrated past experience, skills, and seniority.
APPLICATION Applicants should check the Rewire.News jobs page to ensure that the position is still open prior to applying. Please follow these instructions carefully. Qualified applicants should send an electronic package of materials to email@example.com; no phone calls or emails to staff please. Please note: We CANNOT accept your application if it is not sent in the following format and does not include the following materials.
- Email subject line: MUST include the title of the position for which you are applying and your full name: Audience Engagement Associate – [Your Name].
- Body of the email: The body of your email should be your cover letter, including a clear statement as to why you are interested in this position, why you want to work for Rewire.News, why you feel you are qualified, and a summary of your relevant experience. Please do not send the cover letter as an attachment.
- Attachments: Please include a current resume, three writing samples, including at least one that is audience engagement focused, and three references able to speak to your skills and experience and who are willing to be contacted, including at least one reference that directly supervised your work. We regret that we may not be able to reply to all applicants and that we cannot consider applicants who do not provide all the above information.