- Full Time
The Congressional Budget Office is a small nonpartisan agency that provides economic and budgetary analysis to the Congress. The Office of Communications seeks a second front-end web developer to serve as a systems administrator for CBO’s public website and as a driver of innovative digital solutions.
The Office of Communications supports CBO’s mission by developing, executing, and managing successful digital strategies. The web developer will provide technical expertise to help ensure seamless day-to-day operations and develop tactical and strategic improvements to CBO’s digital presence. This is a midlevel position requiring an experienced person who can shift seamlessly between producing well-documented code, upgrading Drupal, writing valid CSS3, designing user interfaces, and effectively integrating interactive media projects into CBO’s website. The role’s responsibilities include:
- Creating prototypes and demonstrations of new functionality, in line with CBO’s mobile-first approach, that makes the agency’s work more accessible and interactive while providing optimal user experience.
- Serving as a technical expert for digital projects, ensuring that new capabilities are compatible with CBO’s content management system (Drupal) and can be effectively integrated into the website.
- Modifying existing code bases, adding or configuring new Drupal modules, and creating custom modules or applications as needed to implement digital enhancements. Monitoring and applying necessary patches to ensure consistency between module dependencies.
- Extending themes, user interfaces, information taxonomy, and architecture to meet stakeholders’ objectives.
- Monitoring CBO’s cloud-hosted servers and conducting regular reviews to ensure that CBO is receiving the maximum benefit from its external infrastructure.
- Helping to manage relationships with external contractors, serving as a day-to-day point of contact.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and at least five years of experience maintaining websites; that experience must include working with Drupal. An additional four years of related experience may be used in lieu of a bachelor’s degree for a total of nine years of experience. In addition, applicants must:
- Be experienced at working with open-source web platforms.
- Have experience managing deployments in Drupal with multiple developers across different environments as well as experience developing custom Drupal modules.
- Have experience using Drupal development tools such as Lando, Drush, and Composer.
- Have experience with mobile-first or adaptive design principles.
- Demonstrate expert PHP development skills.
- Have a firm grasp of Drupal 8 APIs.
- Possess a working knowledge of community-contributed Drupal modules.
- Be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and capable of managing complex projects.
- Have a working knowledge of information taxonomy and data management.
- Be experienced with maintaining a central repository (for example, Git) for managing and documenting a code base.