- Full Time
Stacker transforms expert analysis into easy-to-digest stories, creating data-driven journalism across dozens of topics - from entertainment to the economy. Founded in summer 2017, Stacker has grown to reach over 150 million monthly page views, syndicated across MSN.com and other publishers. We’re looking for analytical, curious individuals to help research and construct stories, powering Stacker to the next level of growth.
A lean team tackling 100 in-depth research pieces each month, we are looking for smart, hungry applicants who want to get their hands dirty in all parts of the editorial process - from ideation to data analysis - and change how analytical news is created and presented online.
About this Job
Our research team creates the foundation for all Stacker stories, directly responsible for developing the analysis and methodology that powers each headline we publish. As a member of this team, you will be responsible for:
- Discovering new datasets to power compelling stories; reaching out to prospective data partners to build out a library of available sources
- Pitching creative, original new headlines in weekly team brainstorms
- Performing the primary analysis that forms the backbone of our slideshow content; taking bulky datasets and transforming them into story frameworks for our editorial staff to write on
- Driving innovation within our current research process; developing new data resources and tools for the editorial team to power one-to-many story creation
- Analyzing story performance to share actionable insights with the leadership team and inform Stacker’s content strategy
What you will gain:
We are a lean, flexible team working in a fast-paced industry; team members will gain:
- Deep experience in all aspects of a digital-first newsroom
- Sharpened data analysis proficiency and new technical skills
- A platform for having your work read by millions of readers each month
- Knowledge of a broad range of topics, from 1930s U.S. box office performances to international refugee trends
What we look for in a candidate:
- Storytelling ability and a passion for consuming news
- Innate curiosity and broad knowledge of a variety of topics (entertainment, business, lifestyle topics); flexibility to research unfamiliar topic areas and develop a quick competency
- Advanced knowledge of Excel (VLOOKUP/INDEX(MATCH), nested IF statements, Pivot tables)
- A track record of innovation and bias to action
- Creativity and ability to pitch new story ideas
- Bonus: experience with web scraping and APIs
As a new publication with big ambitions, Stacker has zero time for busy work, and is looking for smart individuals to come get their hands dirty and shake things up.