- Full Time
Award-winning social change organization experiencing steady growth is seeking a versatile and innovative communications professional to serve as brand steward and to develop and execute a coherent communications plan that supports our strategic goals.
The Communications Director has a critical role with a broad range of responsibilities including: working in tandem with our Executive Director and discipline leaders to understand our strategic goals; create a communications plan for the organization at large across all platforms for diverse B2C and B2B audiences (adults aged 60 and older that the organization serves in different geographic markets and through online properties; corporate, government, and philanthropic decision-makers; senior-serving institutions; individual donors; journalists; academics and thought leaders in the field of aging); maintain and improve our contact database (Salesforce) and manage distribution lists.
The plan will be executed across platforms including all social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), digital vehicles (two public websites, an online learning platform, e-newsletters, online giving platform) and various promotional materials and printed collateral (e.g, business pitches/PowerPoints, marketing one-sheets, donor acknowledgement correspondence, etc.). This role will also be responsible for acquiring and managing key messaging assets such as text, photos, client testimonials, media clips, etc., and serving as initial point of contact for press enquires.
- Serve as brand steward for the organization, which has a very distinctive take on aging.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a strategic communications plan in collaboration with internal colleagues and other constituents.
- Lead the strategic re-design of oats.org, and seniorplanet.org, including the re-positioning and integration of Senior Planet U (an online learning platform based on Absorb) into the digital experience.
- Generate and commission online content that targets, engages, and builds audience segments and leads to measurable action.
- Recommend new communications vehicles to create greater momentum and awareness as well as to test new approaches.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, e-newsletters, brochures, annual report, and managing the the OATS and Senior Planet websites.
- Collaborate with editorial staff who are responsible for planning and organizing content on the Senior Planet website and associated digital properties/platforms.
- Track and measure the level of engagement with the communications vehicles over time.
- Coordinate and organize conversations with members of various audiences to obtain feedback on communications preferences and improvements.
- Manage donor campaigns and communications.
- Manage all press inquiries and media contacts.
Strategy and Planning
· Work closely with OATS leadership to develop a communications plan that addresses organizational goals across all audiences.
· Implement the communications plan, tracking outcomes and metrics over time. Recommend changes and additions to the plan based on analytics.
Email & Newsletter Marketing
· Develop e-newsletters for Senior Planet’s national and local consumer audiences. Implement a range of executional tests to maximize performance.
· Develop monthly/quarterly OATS emails, as well as occasional special emails based on OATS/Senior Planet events, news, accomplishments or thought leadership messages.
· Manage email solicitation tactics and help grow targeted email lists.
· Manage and maintain email lists in MailChimp.
· Maintain OATS and Senior Planet social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. using platform best practices.
· Develop platform-appropriate social content that drive engagement, website traffic and awareness.
· Track social analytics over time and adjust execution to maximize performance.
· Serve as social media moderator, replying to social posts and comments as appropriate.
Digital Content & Web Updates
· Create engaging Senior Planet content and post in WordPress, including polls, quizzes, photos, etc.
· Support digital content staff in posting online content, including videos, blogs and articles as needed.
· Maintain OATS website, updating contacts, staff lists, case studies, press, etc.
· Manage online analytics for both websites, providing regular reporting and recommendations to achieve online goals.
· Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of print and electronic collateral including brochures, annual report, case studies, etc.
· Field press inquiries and media contacts.
· Develop and distribute online surveys.
· Coordinate audience feedback members – both online and in person.
· Maintain visual ID documentation.
At least five years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit or consumer-facing corporate entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences quickly and effectively through various distribution channels is critical. Strong digital skills are key.
Skills & Approach
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience using Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop, simple HTML is a plus
- Fluency in leveraging PR relationships as well as building and maintaining public relations with other key stakeholders in our field
- Superlative project management and time management skills
- Flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Please email your cover letter, resume, references, and link(s) to a digital portfolio or website.
Apply for Communications Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly