- Full Time
What PBS Has for You
We're a small team responsible for big projects. We're hiring an Engineer who can help us deliver video in the browser. Sometimes this means developing a browser-based video player. Sometimes this means creating a great experience on pbs.org that drives people to that video player. In short, our focus is pbs.org and the products that support it. Perks include: amazing co-workers, a humane work-life balance, and meaningful work. If you're interested in delivering content meant to "educate, inspire, entertain, and express the diversity of perspectives," please consider yourself a candidate.
What You Have
You want to share the challenge of delivering ~2 million videos every week. You've seen the hazards of bad client-side state management and have reveled in bringing order to the chaos. We like to use React, Redux, Webpack, and TypeScript/ES6+ when it comes to client-side code, but other persuasions are encouraged to apply. You can speak to the interactions between the client and the server and have experienced different approaches. You love writing and interacting with APIs. We generally use Python for our backend work, but JS/Node and other languages are used also. An ideal candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Enthusiastic: We work at a company that effects positive change. Let's act like it!
- Collaborative: You're smart and communicative enough to mentor junior engineers. You can accept feedback from engineers that have had different experiences than you.
- Humbly opinionated: You bring what you know to the table and are willing to learn more.
- Lifelong learner: You're driven by an inquisitive nature.
Come Work with Us
To us, "Senior" means that you've shepherded several projects by:
- Making decisions on the tech stack and living with the consequences
- Trail blazing a path through the tricky bits of code
- Coordinating engineers on your product
- Communicating with teams of dependency products
If you want to work with a group of people who are smart and get things done, please start by clicking the button below.
Please include some samples of your work in your application: code, blog posts, and/or links to personal or professional sites.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities