- Full Time
NYC Office of the Comptroller
Salary: $75,000 - $100,000
Bureau/Division: Public Affairs
Period: October 16, 2018 – Until Filled
The New York City Comptroller’s Office is seeking a Speechwriter to be part of its fast-paced communications team. The press office plays a key role in driving and articulating the Comptroller’s overall message, policy agenda, and media strategy as it disseminates news about major initiatives and communicates with the public through a variety of mediums.
Candidates are expected to have experience working in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments and should have demonstrated skill in quickly producing clean, creative and targeted written copy. Candidates should be able to write well under time constraints and handle a variety of challenging responsibilities on a wide range of policy areas.
Under the direction of the Communications Director, the Speechwriter’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Working closely with the Comptroller and Communications Director to craft remarks for events across the five boroughs;
• Writing major policy speeches and working closely with content experts throughout the office to gather relevant information;
• Conducting original, independent background research to bolster the office’s messaging and develop remarks for a wide variety of speaking engagements;
• Launching press office initiatives to help explain and disseminate information about the work of the Comptroller’s Office;
• Closely monitoring coverage of City, State and National issues relevant to the Comptroller’s Office to address daily media inquiries;
• Performing other related assignments as required, and demonstrating a strong ability to collaborate productively with other staff members.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
1. A BA/BS degree from an accredited college in English, journalism, public relations or closely related fields, and three (3) or more years of full-time paid experience in public relations, journalism, speechwriting or advertising or related fields, two years of which should be in an administrative or consultative capacity; or
2. A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to the above. Graduate study in English, journalism, or public relations or closely related field may be substituted for up to one year of required experience.
PREFERRED SKILLS IN ADDITION TO MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Demonstrated skill and affinity for writing about a wide range of public policy issues as well as the ability to tailor often complex messages to diverse audiences;
• Demonstrated responsiveness and reliability, and must be able to handle several projects simultaneously; evidence of prior deadline driven assignments expected;
• Familiarity with urban policy and experience with government programs policies and data analysis, most specifically those of New York City;
• Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills (includes Microsoft Office Suite proficiency) expected;
• Experience and comfort writing for a public official is highly desired.
NOTE: Strong writing skills are a must. Those who write quickly, creatively, and independently are strongly encouraged to apply. As the position requires strong writing skills, three writing samples are to be submitted with resume and cover letter (attach samples to cover letter).
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer