Development Editor (English Language Teaching)
- Full Time
Responsibilities (by category):
- Under the general guidance of senior editorial colleagues, work with writers to shape content to ensure that the level and content of the material is pedagogically effective and suitable for the target markets.
- Manage and motivate writers through all stages of the writing process.
- Ensure that materials reflect research on pedagogy and language learning in all media, and that products have been developed according to agreed briefs and specifications and market and customer needs.
Briefing and approval:
- Brief other departments (Design, Digital Delivery, Production, etc.) on project requirements, and approve solutions to ensure they are appropriate and pedagogically effective.
- Prepare materials for handover to other departments.
- Carry out or supervise content editing, prepare briefs, and check or oversee the checking of proofs and digital content to ensure accuracy, consistency, and clarity.
- Under the guidance of senior editorial colleagues, work with Marketing, Sales, and other departments as needed to conduct customer and market research at various stages of product development to ensure a focus on the integrated solution and differentiation from competitors.
- Manage project schedules, coordinating with the writers and with the cross-functional team to ensure projects are published according to agreed budgets, specifications, and publication dates.
- Brief and oversee the work of external suppliers and carry out appropriate quality checks. Identify any risks and issues affecting delivery to agreed dates, communicate to colleagues, and work collaboratively to problem-solve and mitigate these risks and issues.
- Under supervision from senior colleagues, manage budgets at component level.
- Monitor and communicate potential over/under spend to senior colleagues, working together to problem-solve and mitigate risk and in line with Divisional compliance guidelines.
- Identify continuous improvement and innovation opportunities and work with colleagues to ensure that new processes, workflows, systems, and lessons learned are implemented effectively.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Exhibit excellent communication, time-management and negotiation skills.
- Greater than 2 years development editing experience, preferably in ESL/ELT, but not necessary.
- ESL/ELT teaching experience preferred.
- Experience in digital learning a plus.
- MS Office required including strong Word, Outlook and Excel skills.
- Ability to multi-task and be detail oriented.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.