Assistant News Director- KVEA (Telemundo 52)
Location: Universal City, California
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Must have ability to work evening hours regularly and flexible hours including weekends when needed
Ensure overall execution of newsroom activities in the absence of the VP News. Provide leadership and accountability for KVEA. Implement tactical operations of newsroom while ensuring highest levels of journalistic, legal, television production and promotion standards are maintained. Oversee day-to-day coverage, big story, breaking news, weather and sweeps planning with an eye toward budget, payroll, staffing, field and news operations to meet operational goals.
• 5+ years experience as a news manager in related field including managerial experience of a mid-size team (5-15) of professional individuals.
• Minimum 5 years of experience working in Spanish market broadcast television.
• A degree in journalism or a closely related field is required.
• Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) required both written and verbal.
• Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans and presenting in front of large audiences.
• Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and have the ability to train, coach, and motivate staff members in a positive way to advance their skills and bring out the very best in each of them.
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• High level of experience in technical expertise across emerging multi-media platforms.
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels.
• Knowledgeable about FCC rules and laws pertaining to news broadcasting in multi-media platforms and employment and labor regulations.
• Ability to set policies.
• Possess strong writing, producing, creative, management and leadership skills.
• Must be creative, innovative, have an extremely hands on managing style, and be able to create and execute a winning strategy across multiple platforms.
• Must be a fierce competitor who plays to win.
• Possesses the skills, passion, vision, and drive to take us to the highest levels of performance.
Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA (Los Angeles)
Must have a valid driver’s license
Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
Possess excellent communication, editorial judgment, organization and time management skills.
Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and adhere to strict deadlines under pressure
Ability to work well independently and be detail oriented
Possess strong video production, shooting and editing skills
Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
Ability to work with both external and internal clients
Posses strong knowledge of Social Media Platforms (Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram,Twitter, etc.)
Ability to analyze data and metrics and develop a strategy.
Have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment while believing that teams are smarter and more dynamic together
Working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools
Blogging, wire service, newspaper rewrite or 24-hour cable news background
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.