- Full Time
Jilt is looking for its first full-time writer to join our fully-distributed team and help us create amazing content for our two online publications and elsewhere.
You'll be the first full-time writer and third member of our growing marketing team. You'll help shape the direction of our content marketing and help get the word out about our email marketing platform built for eCommerce that's used by thousands of merchants.
Here are some things you may do on a given day:
- Write SEO-focused how-to content for our company blog
- Profile a company remaking the eCommerce space for our high-end magazine site
- Research story ideas and pitch them at an editorial meeting
- Author a guest post for one of our partners
- Work on important longform content initiatives, like eBooks or online courses
- Help out with innovative experimental content, like writing a script for a video
We're all in on content at Jilt, and we’ve committed to making it a centerpiece of our marketing strategy. We’re constantly evolving our strategy, so you’ll never be bored. We’ll be experimenting with lots of different formats and ideas and we’re looking for a writer who has the flexibility and talent to come along with us on that ride.
On your first day, you will:
- Onboard and get to know your new team members
- Get set up in WordPress for both of our publications
- Read and review Jilt’s style guide
- Start to familiarize yourself with our previously published content
In your first week, you will:
- Write and publish your first post for Jilt.blog
In your first month, you will:
- Write your first longform post for Upsell
- Ramp up to writing three to four posts per week for Jilt publications
- Become familiar with the Jilt product
To succeed in this position, you should have:
- Experience writing SEO-focused content
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines at once
- Expertise (or familiarity with) in eCommerce, WooCommerce, Shopify, entrepreneurship
- Familiarity with WordPress and basic HTML
- Familiarity with basic Photoshop (or similar photo editing tool)
- Experience working remotely
- Nice to have: Experience reporting & interviewing
- Nice to have: Understanding that bears are clearly the coolest animals in the forest
You are a talented and creative writer who loves a good challenge. You have knowledge of the eCommerce and/or startup space, and you’re comfortable writing about business topics. You’re just as excited about writing a 600 word list post as you about a 2,500 word in-depth how-to.
You know the basics of SEO and (ideally) you have experience with writing both deeply researched pieces using secondary sources and doing original reporting. Deadlines don’t scare you, and you know how to operate a hydraulic machine press (okay, we just threw that in here to make sure you were still paying attention… don’t worry, we don’t use those). You’re excited to come to work every day and write amazing content that helps eCommerce entrepreneurs solve their biggest problems.
Our team is fully-remote and we communicate primarily through Slack, email, Google Docs, Basecamp, Airtable, and weekly stand-ups via Zoom (a few short meetings) — we believe the best work happens when given lots of uninterrupted time that’s free of distractions.
As a remote team, we believe that regular meetups are invaluable for getting to know each other better, so you should be available for 1-2 company-paid team trips per year. Curious about what those are like? Check out our blog to read the recap of our last team retreat (SkyTrip), which brought the entire team out to Lake Tahoe, California for a week.
This is a full-time, salaried position, but hours are flexible. We know your work will speak for itself.
Please apply by clicking "Apply" Applications accepted through November 9th.
After an initial screening, you’ll get an email with a few questions to answer. Following that, you’ll have a few 30 minute phone chats with different people on our team to learn more about you and answer any questions you have about the position and company.
The most qualified candidates will then be invited to complete a short one-day research project where you’ll be asked to draft a detailed outline for a post. If this goes well, we’ll invite you to the final stage of our evaluation process: the trial project. During this 2-3 week period, you’ll work closely with our team as a paid contractor and use the detailed outline you created in the research project to write a full post for our blog. You’ll also be tasked with creating a second post from scratch. This gives you an opportunity to make sure you enjoy the work and the team, and it gives us an opportunity to evaluate your work. We’ll have regular chats each week to share feedback and make sure we’re on the same page. At the end of the project, if all goes well, you’ll be offered a permanent position. 🙂
Who you’ll work with:
- Josh Catone, Head of Content - You’ll be reporting to Josh. He’s been a writer like you, for companies like Mashable, SitePoint, ReadWrite, and others.
- Beka Rice, Head of Product - You’ll work with Beka to understand our product in detail and learn all the ways that our customers use Jilt.
- Max Rice, CEO - Max is very hands-on with our marketing and on some projects you’ll work directly with him to create content.
Here are some benefits we're happy to offer to our team members:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive for meeting team and company goals
- 27 days of paid time-off, in addition to 2 company holidays (A SkyVerge Day in March, Founders Day in June 😀)
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance for US and Canadian residents and their families (reimbursements for comparable care for non-US/Canadian residents)
- 401k/RRSP Retirement plan with 4% company match for US/Canadian residents (contributions to comparable plans for non-US/Canadian residents)
- Work flexible hours from anywhere that has a reliable internet connection
- Tools (hardware/software) to help you be productive
- Allowance for professional growth (books, courses, conferences)
- Home office or co-working allowance
- A Kindle to help you keep learning
We support workplace diversity and do not discriminate on any protected class. We believe when we work together as a team of different views, experiences, and ideas, we can build amazing things.