- Full Time
Located in the scenic Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY market, NBC5 (WPTZ-TV) is the leading source for the latest local headlines and live alerts. If you’re motivated by working with a talented award-winning team of professionals, look no further! This is a unique opportunity at a station with real momentum in a beautiful part of northern New England. Best of all, you'll become part of Hearst Television, one of the premier broadcast companies in the country.
We’re looking for our next Managing Editor— someone who can run the assignment desk and help guide a group of talented, eager journalists. If you have the organization skills to keep our newsroom ahead of the competition, a passion for good and complete storytelling and the calmness to deal with a barrage of reporter questions, we want to hear from you. And come Spring 2018, you’ll get to do it all in a brand new, state of the art facility.
Manage editorial content: You’ll be responsible for overseeing and managing the day’s newsgathering, assign crews and guide them throughout the day. You will work with the Assistant News Director to plan ahead for the next day’s news and big events.
Manage assignment desk systems: You are responsible for setting up and maintaining systems on the desk and making sure the staff understands and follows your system. Those systems include the following:
- Reporters: You are responsible for reviewing all end of shift notes from reporters and making sure they have follow-up information for the desk and follow-up contact information.
- Follow-up file: You are responsible for setting up a follow-up system in our computer system and making sure the desk staff understands how to maintain it.
- Futures Planning: You are responsible for looking ahead at the next day and next week and advising the assistant news director of big events so we can plan ahead for coverage.
Manage reporters and content: You will provide editorial guidance to reporters as well as assistance with contacts and information. You will develop a follow-up system for reporters to make sure big stories are being followed and reported. You may be required to edit video.
Information flow to producers and reporters: You will work with the Executive Producer throughout the day to provide updates on content and to determine format and placement. You will assign daily live equipment and tune TVU liveshots.
MyNBC5.com: You will be responsible for providing information on breaking news stories to the MyNBC5.com digital media manager (DMM). You may be asked asked to post content on MyNBC5.com.
- Prior experience as an assignment manager, news producer or reporter.
- College degree in TV/Video Production, or related field preferred, or related experience.
- Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
Please visit careers.hearsttelevision.com to apply.