Senior Digital Editor — School Leaders Now
The WeAreTeachers team is seeking a talented Senior Digital Editor with experience as an education writer or reporter to join our staff as the lead editor for our School Leaders Now media brand. This is a contract position with the possibility of transitioning to a full-time hire.
In coordination with the editorial director, the Senior Digital Editor will be responsible for setting the tone and maintaining the editorial calendar of School Leaders Now. He or she will write, assign and edit 5-10 engaging editorial and sponsored content pieces each week as well as contribute to our social media channels. Additionally, he or she will collaborate with the video, custom content and social content teams.
Quick pace and heavy deadlines—but great rewards too like working from your home office, collaborating with an inspiring team across three time zones and above all, knowing that you are making a difference for educators and kids.
The ideal candidate is a creative problem solver and strategic thinker who is self-motivated, well-organized, and proactive, with exceptional communication skills. This position allows for a lot of creative freedom and will enable you to wear many hats. You must love following and reporting on education trends and news, and be willing to seek out innovative and inspiring stories happening in schools around the country.
Strong writing, editing, social media skills are a must.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong writing skills—with demonstrated experience in short-form, Internet-savvy writing
- Minimum of 3 years experience in digital publishing—ideally in writing for an educator audience
- Strong rolodex/network of other education writers and experts in the field
- Deep knowledge of the education landscape, with the ability to examine issues from the role of a school or district leader
- Passion for social media (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram)
- Experience with SEO optimization and content management systems
- An ability to communicate our brand voice and mission
What you'll do:
- Develop, write, and edit engaging editorial and sponsored stories for our educator audience.
- Work collaboratively with an amazing team of talented editors, writers, and designers.
- Contribute to our social media content (posts, blogs, images, video).
Interested? Send us your resume and cover letter with all of the following:
- Links to online portfolio/work samples
-Your experience with social media
-Your connection to K-12 education
-Ideas for three blog posts for School Leaders Now you would write this week if you were on staff, including a title and the first few lines of copy