- Full Time
We are currently looking for an Editor on our Content Team. This is a great opportunity to edit smart, fun articles in a wide range of verticals (including pop culture, sports, video games, weird history facts, etc.) everyday for a leading entertainment website, which also happens to be in the top 50 in all internet websites in the United States. Don't take our word for it, check it out at https://www.quantcast.com/top-sites.
Despite all this traffic, we do this with a small, talented team of about 20 editors and about 100 freelance writers who love creating fun, interesting content on a daily basis. We built up our traffic the right way, by creating lists and stories that people love reading and sharing steadily over the past 8 years. Here are some examples of lists we create:
Weird History: https://www.ranker.com/list/causes-of-death-in-different-eras/genevieve-carlton
Pop Culture: https://www.ranker.com/list/horror-villains-ruined-by-backstory/jacob-shelton
Want to be part of our editorial team? Here’s how you’ll know if you’re going to love this job:
First, what’s in it for you:
- Have a REAL job with a genuine career track. This isn't a freelance gig… it's a real job with regular salary paid twice a month, with benefits and potential for equity.
- Speaking of benefits, we offer fully-paid medical, plus heavily subsidized voluntary dental and vision plans, 10 paid holidays, and additional days of paid time off per year.
- Very casual workplace (no one has ever worn a suit to work) with a fully stocked kitchen including free snacks, soda, Perrier, LaCroix, Mexican Coca Cola; we also do catered lunches and breakfast weekly, and free massages every week.
- Located conveniently in the Mid-Wilshire district, minutes from Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile, and the 10 Freeway.
- Daily collaboration with a smart, talented, and funny group of editors and social media professionals in a writer-friendly environment (ie quiet).
- The fun of keeping up with viral trends on the Internet to generate creative and compelling ideas for smart, fun lists across all topics.
- Opportunity to assign and edit list topics to freelance writers to produce clever, funny, A-list quality work in a fast-paced environment and follow them through their life cycle on social media.
Who we believe will do great in this role:
All our successful Editors have been able to hit the ground running, showing initiative and passion for the editorial process. Realistically, you’ll have to have:
- At least 1 year of actual commercial editing experience, ideally for a fast-paced, content-driven website, responsible for generating several articles a day in entertainment, viral, video games, culture, horror, and/or other relevant verticals.
- Experience assigning and managing assignments, especially with multiple freelance writers.
- Photo skills - picking great images, cropping, etc. Creative Photoshop skills a plus.
- Broad entertainment knowledge in celebrity, music, sports, games, comics is a MAJOR plus.
- We are ONLY considering those who are currently based in Los Angeles - this is an in-office position, high-touch content editing role. We will not consider candidates who are not currently in the Los Angeles area.
- Please keep in mind that this is a content writing/editing job - those looking for video should please check out our other positions.
- If you don’t have any commercial experience, and/or you’re not currently in Los Angeles, we would strongly suggest you check out our Junior Editor role and/or our open freelance writer jobs that we have posted on our site at http://blog.ranker.com/jobs.
If this sounds exciting, here's what we need from you:
- At least 3 writing and/or editorial samples that you’re proud of, as well as (if applicable) links to any social media properties you've helped program (you can put these links in your portfolio, or include them in your cover letter).
- A cover letter giving color/examples of how you meet and exceed the qualifications listed above. And yes, we are looking at your cover letter to get an idea of your writing style, so smart, thoughtful, and clever letters really stand out.
- As we are a site with lists about literally everything, we like editors who know a lot about a lot of things. In your cover letter please list any areas of expertise you have, from the broad to the pretty granular.
**SORRY, NO RECRUITERS**
The Ranker Story:
Ranker is a data-driven media company whose unique hook is, “Editors Create, Users Participate.” We collect over 12 million monthly user votes, which has built a treasure trove of psychographic "people who like X also like Y" first party data, while delivering a fun, engaging user experience.
Ranker will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
Apply for Content Editor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly