We are currently looking for a Copy Editor/Proofreader with working knowledge of journalistic standards and best practices, grammar, sourcing, fact-checking, as well as recent experience using (and maintaining) a voice & style guide. First and foremost you have a meticulous attention to detail, and an eagle eye when it comes to grammar, spelling, and consistency of style.
Secondly, you understand best practices when it comes to image-sourcing and attribution, as well as fact-checking references and spot-checking for plagiarism. As part of our Standards Department, the copy editor report to the Copy Director and will be the final stop for our content before publishing or for Cleanup Projects and will ensure style standards and best practices are completely implemented on every piece of content that we publish.
- Authorized to work for any US employer & have a US bank account.
- 2+ years experience in copy editing for a high-profile entertainment, celebrity, movie, or television publication. Online highly preferred.
- Minimum 2 years Digital Media experience
- Experience utilizing a voice & style guide to ensure all content is crisp, clean, properly fact-checked, well-sourced, free of bias and legally low-risk.
- Experience with large-scale cleanup projects that bring previously published content up to current standards preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment for a data-driven publisher
- Experience with various CMS
- SEO knowledge/ experience preferred
- A passion for pop culture
- Problem-solver and effective communicator
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, film, etc
Please note: This is PT/FT position that reports to HQ in Los Angeles. Copy Desk hours will mirror that of our home office editorial department, so must fall between 9am and 6pm PST for training/comm. It's a short-term contract position to start, with the possibility of extending/developing. Please state your hourly rate.