Senior Media Relations Lead
- Full Time
This position will lead and develop a public relations strategy that supports the dynamic needs of MITRE’s strategic external communications programs for corporate initiatives, public sector programs, and the Center for Programs and Technology, which includes tech centers, technology transfer, research and development, and innovation. The strategy will focus on creating awareness of MITRE and its executives, subject matter experts, board members, and strategic partners through media outreach, social media, digital story-telling, speaking opportunities, and complementary PR campaign tactics. This role will be responsible for connecting communications goals and outcomes with business goals and outcomes and serving as an advisor to MITRE leadership and internal stakeholders. This candidate will develop and execute communications plans and programs including news release writing, social media content, events, and speaking opportunities that differentiate MITRE and support its growth efforts and business priorities.
- Write persuasively to create awareness and influence through news releases, op-eds, social media, talking points, and other content.
- Create media strategies that extend MITRE’s relationships and secure coverage in national, technology, and government media (print, online and broadcast) and coordinate creative and digital content to support visual storytelling.
- Think creatively and critically to drive the development of integrated communications plans and storytelling.
- Act as a trusted communications advisor, collaborating with MITRE program directors and officers across the MITRE Public Service and Center for Programs and Technology portfolio.
- Develop, implement, and measure communications plans against business goals and outcomes.
- Lead efforts to develop new story ideas for MITRE communications campaign themes.
- 10-15 years of demonstrated success in public relations and media relations program planning, implementation, and measurement.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Deep media relationships in technology and government trades, national print, and broadcast outlets. International is a plus.
- Proven experience managing comprehensive strategic communications and media relations campaigns using paid, earned, shared, and owned (PESO) media strategies and advocacy to advance the organization’s strategic mission and goals.
- Experience supporting senior and executive leadership communications in one-on-one and small group settings.
- Solid content development and campaign management experience, including ability to optimize all forms of communications to achieve strategic objectives, build brand awareness and loyalty, and support business growth goals.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, delivering to or exceeding plan goals.
- Prior journalism experience preferred. Knowledge of technology and government contracting industry preferred. Capitol Hill, PR agency, or corporate communications is a plus. Spanish language skills are a plus. APR or similar credential desired.
- Proven experience building and implementing thought leadership programs for a variety of senior executives and high-profile programs.
- Must have proven ability to problem solve and execute communications plans while operating in a fast-paced environment and manage changing priorities.
- Possess a “can do” attitude and ability to solve problems.
- Ability to develop strong and compelling stories about complex, technical topics.
- Expert in the art of media relations and understanding of digital storytelling.
- Keen understanding of how media and thought leadership platforms converge and how to tell and sell great stories in this context.
- Proactive mindset and big thinker that delivers breakthrough strategies and media placements.
- Collaborative team player who demonstrates initiative and creativity.