Program Manager, Communications
- Full Time
As a member of the Internal Communications team under the direction of the Senior Manager of Internal Communications, you will play a central role in developing and executing communications strategies across a range of print, electronic, broadcast, and face-to-face channels. You will be a primary liaison with functional and business unit leadership to provide communications support for key company initiatives. Additionally, you will play a central role in developing and executing written communications across a range of vehicles from our weekly newsletter to leadership communications.
Partners with business unit and functional leadership on key communications initiatives of all types, including organizational announcements and All Hands meetings. Provides advice and counsel. Works cross-functionally across departments to gather information and determine appropriate messages.
- Researches, writes, and positions content in tandem with client teams. Recommends appropriate communication channels for message release.
- Creates, manages, and edits content for Staples intranet, newsletter, videos, and other channels. Recommends creative approaches for written and video content to drive engagement.
- Supports business units’ All Hands meetings, including content development and logistical support.
- Manages Internal Communications programs and contributes to key initiatives, from ideation to partnering with businesses on content
- At least 4 years of experience developing and executing internal communications strategies and plans with clear business impact
- Proven track record of supporting and advising senior leaders
- Excellent writing skills, strong presentation and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in communications strategy development and planning
- Ability to deliver top-quality communication materials, including articles, high-impact emails, and PowerPoint presentations for senior leaders
- Strong project management experience – Well organized, disciplined, and process oriented. Able to set priorities and put actions in place to execute communication plans effectively
- Experience managing company intranets and/or websites, with an eye for usability and creative look and feel
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft office programs with advanced proficiency in PowerPoint
- Familiarity with HTML, Photoshop and Dreamweaver for intranet, newsletters and content management. Knowledge of Omniture is also a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications area such as Mass Communications, Corporate Communications, Journalism, Marketing Communications, etc.
- Organizational reach—Display strong knowledge of all communication disciplines, offer credible advice on message positioning, and display overall business acumen. Keen ability to absorb, comprehend, and communicate a message, linking it to strategy and tying it to Staples’ complex business structure
- Creative writing—Ability to write for many different channels and formats, while bringing a creative flair to the finished product. Keen focus on how best to simplify and package complex messages in a way that will make the viewer or reader engaged. Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage feedback pipeline
- Influence and partnership—Ability to influence business partners and outcomes by providing strong rationale for communication approaches. Build key relationships both within business units and functional areas
- Strategic messaging—Ability to absorb, comprehend, and communicate a message, linking it to strategy and tying it to Staples’ business structure. Works with broader Internal Communications team to achieve this.
- New media savvy—Knowledge/interest in exploring new channels and/or opportunities to bring internal content to life.