- Full Time
UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges
the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels. For 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our country stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
UnidosUS is seeking a Director of Communications for its Washington, DC office. The Director will lead multi-channel and cross-institutional integrated marketing and communications efforts to drive visibility and establish a strong brand identity, while aligning with UnidosUS’s mission and vision. The Director will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Communications and Marketing.
UnidosUS is looking for a passionate, strategic, creative, and energetic individual with a desire to help improve opportunities for Latinos. The Director will lead a comprehensive strategy across all marketing and communications efforts, including content, marketing, assets, messaging, events, digital, and organizational campaigns to drive target audience awareness and engagement via external marketing communications.
UnidosUS offers a collaborative, team-based environment that fosters a culture of ideas and debate. We approach our work from multiple perspectives and methods, understanding both the specific issues and their larger interrelated systems. We’re looking for a strong leader and counselor with the ability to think across platforms by contributing to an integrated team. The Director will also have frequent contact with staff members at all levels of the organization, the UnidosUS’s Board of Directors, and other key external stakeholders.
• Assist in the development and implementation of a communications and public relations strategy that increases brand awareness, asserts thought leadership, and articulates what UnidosUS means to communities across the country through various events, speaking engagements, interviews, op-eds, and public-facing opportunities.
• Play a major role in the research, planning, and development of comprehensive integrated public relations campaigns that help tell the UnidosUS story outside of the breaking news cycle.
• Help transform complex policies and issues that impact Latinos into “consumer-friendly” content to be used across channels and media to reach the average person.
• Foster and implement a 360-degree approach to communications leveraging the expertise across all marketing and communications functions at UnidosUS and on all platforms and channels.
• Enhance UnidosUS thought leadership by proactively brainstorming, pitching, and promoting initiatives and expertise, helping to identify openings to expand the organization’s reach by securing proactive media opportunities, op-ed placements, influencer meetings and events through traditional and digital channels.
• Develop and manage an initiative to proactively expand and manage media and influencer relationships.
• Identify opportunities for UnidosUS sponsored or partnership events and create strategies to execute.
• Create an UnidosUS Speakers’ Bureau and manage speaking engagements for senior executives and subject matter experts.
• Provide strategic communications counsel and guidance to senior leadership, Affiliate leaders, and other appropriate stakeholders.
• Act as the single point of contact for key projects. Proactively maintain effective communications to ensure all relevant internal stakeholders, including executive leadership, are informed of key marketing objectives, activities, and results.
• Monitor and optimize marketing and communication plans (earned and digital) based on key metric results/outcomes, budget (includes monitoring key business trends), identify opportunities and gaps feedback.
• Provide regular status reports and timelines for key projects, providing transparent feedback to all stakeholders in the process.
• Conduct post-mortem reviews and report results to develop future recommendations on how to optimize programs.
• Oversee the execution of multiple strategies simultaneously.
• Provide direction and assistance to other teams regarding projects. Determine priorities, schedules, plans, and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
• Set organizational goals and expectations for direct reports and hold team accountable for their performance. Mentor, coach, and support team members to ensure constant development of their skills.
• Provide and facilitate needed media training for staff and potential Affiliate leaders.
• Bachelor's degree with 8-10 years of relevant experience in marketing and communications, with experience in the development and execution of multi/omni-channel communications and marketing plans. Consumer public relations experience a plus.
• Experience securing general market and Hispanic national media coverage across all mediums (broadcast, newspaper, magazines, online).
• Innate understanding and experience in creating integrated marketing communications campaigns and initiatives that leverage all disciplines – content creation, media, social media digital, video, thought-leadership, events, etc.
• Excellent oral communication skills required; ability to make effective presentations and to serve as an UnidosUS spokesperson as needed—in English and Spanish.
• Ability to engage with and counsel senior leadership, stakeholders, and decisionmakers, and deliver connective insights to assist in driving alignment and execution across initiatives.
• Experience developing and maintaining effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to creatively and practically develop, execute, and implement new plans or programs
• Ability to distill major policy reports, program initiatives, and issue positions into usable information for consumption by our constituencies, media, community organizations, and other stakeholders.
• Interest in and general knowledge of UnidosUS’s issues, programs, and constituencies.
• Experience managing teams to execute marketing and communications plans effectively
• Superior writing skills, expert in Associated Press style, with the ability to develop and
edit high-quality materials including communications plans, press materials, fact sheets, bylined articles, analysis summaries, executive correspondence, and presentations.
• Fosters a positive climate to build effective teams that are committed to the goals and initiatives of the organization.
• Continuously improves team job structures and ensures clear leadership accountabilities are in place.
• Willingness and ability to travel.
• Bilingual ability (English/Spanish) required.
• High degree of initiative and ability to work on multiple projects, under tight deadlines with minimal supervision.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and as part of a team.
Please note: Only those applicants who submit a cover letter and writing sample along with a résumé will be considered for this opportunity. Please include “Director, Communications” in the subject line.
SEND COVER LETTER, WRITING SAMPLE, AND RÉSUMÉ
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, personal appearance, family responsibilities, political affiliation, or enrollment in a college, university, technical school, or adult education.