Senior Associate, Content
- Full Time
Senior Associate, Content
Team: Children’s Programming
Working with the Vice President and other Directors of the department, the Senior Associate, Content, is a key team member who participates in handling and implementing development for children’s programming for PBS. The Senior Associate also oversees production on select current series for PBS KIDS. This position includes taking pitches and giving feedback; managing the proposal submission process, tracking unsolicited submissions and associated correspondence; writing rejection letters and providing written notes on projects in development; scouting for properties with series potential; and working with current series producers on producing content that is curriculum-driven, age-appropriate, and in line with PBS brand standards and guidelines.
Essential duties will include, but not limited to:
- With department, attend pitch meetings and provide feedback on projects under consideration for development.
- Manage proposal submissions. Track proposals received; review and provide notes or rejections as needed. Maintain a database of submissions and associated correspondence. Archive all materials.
- Manage the series proposal review process within the Children’s Programming department.
- With Director of Content, arrange Quarterly Development Review meetings and Commissioning Rounds.
- Work closely with VP and Directors of department to develop and execute a multi-year development strategy and curriculum strategy.
- Work closely with VP and Directors of department to oversee production on pilots.
- Build a database of writers, educational advisors, producers and production companies who could work on PBS KIDS projects.
- Under supervision of Director, Children’s Programming, serve as production executive on select current series, reviewing all stages of series production (including treatments, scripts, rough cuts and fine cuts).
- Act as Programming’s point-person for internal questions on children’s content.
- Support the VP and Directors of Children’s Programming in their communications with internal and external stakeholders. Produce presentation materials and coordinate media for monthly NPS Teleconferences, station webinars, and meetings with programmers and producers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Experience in broadcasting, production or post-production.
- Familiarity with PBS KIDS content and knowledge of the children’s media landscape.
- Experience with PBS or member station operations and procedures desirable.
- Passion for children’s media and early childhood learning.
- Excellent creative instincts and ability to provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to identify and evaluate sensitive or problematic material in programs.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills – working with multiple projects in numerous stages of development and completion.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – diplomacy a must.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-departmental teams.
- Responsible and flexible person who can perform effectively under stress.
- Goal- and deadline-oriented.
- Sound judgment and professional maturity.
- A thorough knowledge of television production and experience in script and proposal evaluation.
- High energy level with strong work ethic.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities