- Full Time
Kaplan Test Prep (www.kaptest.com/careers) is a premier provider of educational and career services for individuals, schools and businesses. Established in 1938, Kaplan is the world leader in the test prep industry. With a comprehensive menu of online offerings as well as a complete array of print books and digital products, Kaplan offers preparation for more than 100 standardized tests, including entrance exams for secondary school, college and graduate school, as well as professional licensing exams for attorneys, physicians and nurses. Kaplan also provides private tutoring and graduate admissions consulting services. Kaplan Test Prep also operates Metis, a leading provider of data science skills training for individuals and businesses.
Job Impact and Scope Summary
Monitors every phase of book’s print and digital production to ensure completion on schedule and within budget while meeting Barron’s quality and branding standards. Estimate, schedule and traffic all components of new book publications.
- Manage the production editorial process for each assigned project according to editorial plan, from final manuscript to release to printer and epub creation, so that products meet target dates, are produced cost effectively, are of editorial and design quality appropriate to target markets and satisfy Marketing/Sales department expectations.
- Review submitted materials at manuscript stage to identify and troubleshoot potential production problems.
- Format book manuscripts in preparation for freelance copy editors and in-house designers.
- Communicate and interact directly with authors regarding the production process, edited manuscripts, page proofs, and indexing.
- Correspond with, assign projects to, and evaluate the work of freelance copyeditors, typesetters, illustrators, proofreaders, and indexers.
- Collate and check proofs; copyedit and proofread miscellaneous material (i.e., front matter, back matter, indexes) and cover mechanicals.
- Instruct and manage vendors regarding scheduling, copyediting and coding, design, illustration, XML creation, composition, production management, proofreading, indexing, and archiving.
- Coordinate with and inform Production Manager, Marketing/Sales, Digital Content Publishing, and Manufacturing Coordinator regarding scheduling, planning, and trafficking to meet deadlines.
- Input and maintain accurate schedule, cost, specification, and administrative data and content in all required systems in a timely manner.
- Four-year college degree
- Three to five years experience in book production, specifically managing schedules, budgets, and freelancers
- Knowledge of typesetting, and familiarity with printing procedures and requirements
- Knowledge of Google Suite a must
- Some XML experience preferred
- Knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th Edition and experience following editorial style guides
- Experience using digital authoring tools
- Experience with remote work environments
- Must be authorized for employment in the US