Managing Director of Communications and Marketing
- Full Time
SAGE is the country's largest and oldest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older adults. Founded in 1978 and headquartered in New York City, SAGE is a national organization that offers supportive services and consumer resources to LGBT older adults and their caregivers, advocates for public policy changes that address the needs of LGBT older people, provides education and technical assistance for aging providers and LGBT organizations through its National Resource Center on LGBT Aging, and cultural competence training through SAGECare. With staff in New York City, Washington, D.C., Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago, and other key cities across the country, SAGE coordinates a growing network of 29 SAGE affiliates in 21 states.
Summary: Under the direction of the Chief Officer for External Affairs, the Managing Director of Communications & Marketing possesses the acumen to work strategically, effectively and proactively in a dynamic, fast-paced organization. The Managing Director of Communications & Marketing must also possess outstanding written, oral and interpersonal skills.
The Managing Director of Communications & Marketing will create an integrated, measurable, organization-wide communications and marketing strategy to achieve SAGE’s strategic objectives. The Managing Director of Communications will oversee and implement the execution of that strategy. The Managing Director will also direct and oversee all of SAGE’s communications channels, including website, social media properties, press outlets, videos, e-blasts, and publications. The Managing Director will also oversee marketing and communications efforts for SAGE’s programs and development and fundraising initiatives, working closely with relevant internal stakeholders.
- Create and execute a proactive, organization-wide communications and marketing strategy.
- Implement SAGE’s newly developed brand and brand strategy and develop a complementary messaging framework that reflects SAGE’s brand voice and align all outgoing communications.
- Oversee all of SAGE’s outgoing messaging and communications materials, including all fundraising emails and external content, as well as all press releases, publications, eblasts, social media, etc.
- Provide high-level leadership and strategic thinking to all of SAGE’s marketing and communications efforts and guide the marketing and communications department to reach benchmarks and objectives, including revenue goals where appropriate.
- Coordinate with all SAGE departments to ensure consistency of messaging and brand voice and implement the organization-wide communications and marketing strategy across many stakeholder audiences, both internally and externally.
- Create and implement advocacy and brand campaigns that further SAGE’s policy goals and strategic priorities and increase engagement with SAGE.
- Develop and administer a rapid response communications strategy and lead SAGE’s rapid response communication, monitoring breaking news and advising how/when/if SAGE responds.
- Oversee the development and implementation of SAGE’s media outreach and press messaging and strategy, focusing on SAGE’s key markets across the country.
- Directly supervise the Director of Communications and provide oversight to the larger marketing and communications team, which includes the Director of Communications, a Communications Specialist and a part-time Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
- Manage external agencies, vendors, and contractors as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in marketing and communications ideally in a non-profit, advocacy or political environment.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in marketing or communications or equivalent work experience.
- Deep knowledge of marketing, branding, communications, advertising, media relations, and social media.
- Fluency in the latest technology and communications vehicles.
- Demonstrated ability to manage many competing deadlines.
- Works well under pressure.
- Excellent written, oral and proofreading skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership, motivational, management, and communications skills
- An established record as a team builder and mentor
- Strong sense of humor
- Commitment to LGBT and/or aging issues
- Passion for SAGE’s mission
- Demonstrated commitment to SAGE’s values of diversity and equity.