Group Nine Media is currently seeking a bright, self-motivated Associate Counsel to join the Legal and Business Affairs Team!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Address and advise on all legal matters for the company both proactively and as directed. Areas of coverage include inbound and outbound commercial contracts, linear and digital programming production and development, regulatory and policy compliance, M&A transactions, labor and employment issues, corporate governance, employee equity incentive program, commercial real estate transactions, disputes and litigation, and development of legal strategy.
- Lead complex commercial transactions from start to finish under the direction of VP, Legal and Business Affairs. This involves evaluating business development opportunities, meeting with internal stakeholders, and simultaneously balancing a number of legal and business issues.
- Manage administration and resolution of legal issues that arise in existing commercial relationships.
- Assist with management and implementation of company equity incentive plan and daily corporate governance decisions.
- Help maintain Legal and Business Affairs Team infrastructure, company records, and internal systems.
- Stay up-to-date and keep relevant stakeholders informed about changes to existing policies, laws, and regulations.
- Manage relationships with outside counsel.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- JD degree and admission to one or more state Bars (must be in good standing, and if not admitted in New York, must be willing to register as in-house counsel in New York).
- 2-3 years relevant work experience; in-house experience at a digital media company preferred.
- Basic understanding of complex commercial transactions.
- Experience and confidence independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Basic interest in a wide variety of transactions and legal issues that arise at a digital media company, including content production and distribution deals, online advertising compliance, data management and security, commercial real estate transactions, and personnel management.
- Strong sense of urgency and people management skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and understanding of relevant technology, including various digital distribution channels, content development systems, and advertising platforms.
- Strong interest in the business and desire to work within a multidisciplinary team.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views and reaching 80% of U.S. adults in their 20s. As the no. 1 most engaging publisher on the social web, Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where their millennial-focused audience spends the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched video news creator on social), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and innovation).
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.