Head of Data Solutions
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal seeks an editor who will be responsible for planning and leading the newsroom’s audience data strategy, practices and data engineering as the newsroom increases its focus on its audience and what’s known about them.
This editor will employ superb data science, news judgment and knowledge of audience data in their decisions. The successful candidate will demonstrate sophisticated understanding of data analysis, science and data engineering practices, and have strong experience in overseeing data practices in content companies. A working knowledge of audience behavior around common journalism types, like breaking news and enterprise journalism, would be helpful, as would experience in newsroom tools such as data dashboards. Experience with product testing, including A/B testing, as well as a strong background in what has worked well for content reach in newsrooms would also be helpful.
The successful candidate will be adept at reviewing our current practices and recommending changes, helping to implement changes and then working with our bureau chiefs, coverage chiefs and news hubs to spread new practices. This editor will manage a team that includes data science, engineering and analyst specialists. This is a function tied to the newsroom’s top-level strategy, working in collaboration with the Audience group, the WSJ Lab and the broader newsroom.
A passion for helping journalists connect better with their audiences is essential.
- Excellent news judgment and strong editing skills.
- Experience applying computational methods to journalism.
- Experience creating newsroom tools.
- Experience with recommendation engines and product testing.
- Knowledge of R and Python (Pandas and Scikit-Learn). Experience with machine learning and natural language processing using open source libraries including TensorFlow, Scikit Learn, SpaCy and NLTK is preferred.
- Familiarity with natural language generation and template writing.
- Respected newsroom leader who inspires other journalists to produce their best work.
- Deep understanding of digital media and digital journalism.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, as well as workshop facilitation experience.
- Solid managerial skills and comfort talking with highly technical engineers and data scientists as well as other newsroom contingencies that are less data-focused.
- Excitement to understand the Journal’s core digital audience and its needs and expectations.
- Experience leading research into new audiences and interest in helping the Journal with its growth strategy.
- Collaborative spirit.
- Familiarity with the Journal’s brand, content offering and various digital/print platforms.
- Upholds The Wall Street Journal’s high standards and ethics.
- General awareness of how our newsroom works and others’ roles and responsibilities.
The Head of Data Solutions will report to The Wall Street Journal’s Editor of Newsroom Strategy.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 36 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you require assistance in completing the online application, please contact the Talent Management team for Application Help at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com