Public Information Officer
- Full Time
The County Executive’s Office for Prince George’s County, MD has an immediate opening for a Public Information Officer. If you are interested in local government, working with the media and being involved with public relations activities and you enjoy working in a fast-paced, highly rewarding environment, we are looking for you.
The Public Information Officer is responsible for creating written materials including, but not limited to, press releases, newsletters and talking points/speeches. The Public Information Officer will coordinate with Administration staff and other county agencies to gather information to pitch stories to the media and create publications to be disseminated to the public. to media and the public. The Public Information Officer will also help the Public Affairs staff create and promote community outreach events and create materials for those events. The Public Information Officer will also be responsible for assisting with staffing of the County Executive at events out of the office. Occasional early morning, night and weekend hours will be expected.
This is an exempt position, meaning the Public Information Officer is a political appointment of the County Executive and serves at the pleasure of the County Executive. The Public Information Officer will report to the Communications Director and Deputy Chief of Staff.
· Prepare written materials including press releases, newsletters, speeches and talking points
· Assist in maintaining office’s presence on social media sites
· Assist in maintaining office’s page on county website
· Assist with responses to media inquiries
· Staff County Executive at various events in the community
· Create and manage content for office’s external newsletter as well as content for other internal and external publications
· Assist Public Affairs team in creating outreach events. This includes event planning and creation of written materials needed for the event.
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with local and national media outlets and proactively pitch story ideas
· Help create graphic/visual materials for use in outreach campaigns
· Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION FOR CANDIDATES: Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, journalism or related field; one to three years’ experience in public relations, journalism or related field; strong writing skills; working knowledge of social media platforms and Microsoft office programs; experience working in political or legislative environment is a plus. Bilingual skills a plus.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass a background investigation
- Must pass a drug screen
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Under the Immigration reform and Control Act of 1986, an employer is required to hire only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. Selected candidate for employment will be required to show and verify authorization to work in the United States.
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
HOW TO APPLY: Submit resume, cover letter discussing experience and writing sample to: Alsobrooks for County Executive, Transition Team
Apply for Public Information Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly