Sr. Product Manager- Classroom/Library
- Full Time
The Senior Product Manager is a vital resource within the company and is responsible for overseeing assigned aspects of the Classroom Library product line management with an emphasis on new product development, product line strategic growth/profitability, and life cycle management. Primary responsibilities include product line planning; guiding editorial and technology development of superior, differentiated product; advocating customer/sales needs in the product development process; guiding market research activities; and taking a portfolio view of life cycle management.
Product Planning and Product Development
- Owns the product line P&L, collaborating with functional leaders to deliver results
- Drive program strategy and vision to deliver high quality products and/or features on schedule and budget that meet customer needs and corporate goals.
- Works with Sales, Marketing, Engineering, Finance and Services teams to set financial goals and report and execute against them
- Works with functional teams including Global Supply Chain and TG, to manage costs efficiently
- Oversees cross-functional teams to execute against plans
- Develops and presents capital budget request in line with market opportunity
- Responsible for determining in the optimal product configuration and program price point that meets both revenue and profit goals
- Responsible for developing product level Business Plans that deliver against the corporate goals for improved student outcomes and market share growth
- Product lifecycle management from initial conceptualization, authorization, development, launch, maintenance and sunsetting products
- Identify custom classroom library opportunities, and utilize financial acumen and inputs from stakeholders to determine pros and cons of moving forward with custom classroom library development
- Manage relationships with 3rd party partners
- Oversee classroom library product line, ensuring high-quality curation, fulfillment, and development of supporting material
- Ensure libraries meet current pedagogic and market needs as well as social compliance and standards alignment requirements
- Liaise between core project team and internal stakeholders (e.g. engineering, editorial, design, marketing, research, QA, etc.) to collect and synthesize feedback, manage/align project schedules, and motivate team
- Collaborate with stakeholders to assure timely completion of all tasks associated with development process, communicate project scope changes, prioritization reasoning, and decisions affecting product delivery
- Research and report information about market trends, competitive issues and products, customer issues, and sales force needs to stakeholders as directed.
- Make recommendations for revisions of and extensions for existing solutions, including product customization, new components, and pricing models.
- Create market and business requirements for new solutions that satisfy customer needs and revenue/profit goals.
Product Life Cycle Management
- Analyze financial performance of an assigned product, including investment, revenue, and profitability
- Benchmark performance of an assigned product against competition and market; implement pricing plans in line with product strategy
- Implement tasks in the product launch and sunset process
- Implement product maintenance plans and manage the phases and gates in the product life cycle
- Work with Director on go-to-market strategy for new product or solution.
- Partner with Director to identify product positioning strategies. Partner with Product Marketing and Sales to ensure proper competitive positioning for product or solution.
- Serve as product expert across the HMH organization
- Provide support for the sales and services enablement process
- Assist with key customers
- Maintain strong, ongoing channels of communication with sales force and other functional areas within SIS and across the company.
· BS/BA in related discipline with approximately 5-7 years of related industry or functional experience; MBA or Masters preferred--preferably in the content area or in business management or marketing
· Knowledge of the ELA Core and Supplemental Market
· Proficient use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint
· Strong communication skills
· Highly organized
· Thrives in fast-paced environment with competing priorities
· Understanding of the Educational Sales Market
· Teaching or Professional development provider experience, experience as an Educational Sales Consultant, or similar experience is preferred.
· Technical background, experience with technology product management or development
· Presentation skills
· HMH Product knowledge