Technical ELA Product Manager
- Full Time
The Technical Product Manager is a vital resource within the company and is responsible for overseeing assigned aspects of the product line management with an emphasis on new product development, product line strategic growth/profitability, and life cycle management. Primary responsibilities include product line planning; guiding editorial and technology development of superior, differentiated product; advocating customer/sales needs in the product development process; guiding market research activities; and taking a portfolio view of life cycle management.
Product Planning and Product Development
- Manages the product line P&L, collaborating with functional leaders to deliver results
- Drives program strategy and vision to deliver high quality products and/or features on schedule and budget that meet customer needs and corporate goals.
- Communicates project scope changes, prioritization reasoning, and decisions affecting product delivery
- Leverage data (usage, efficacy, etc.) to define project deliverables to support delivery of high quality products on schedule that meet customer needs
- Lead Agile product development team as Product Owner or Subject Matter Expert (SME), attending daily Scrum meetings, keeping Scrum artifacts visible, helping resolve impediments to the team, and assisting with sprint planning and review meetings. Based on user requirements, write user stories and acceptance criteria, create prototypes and/or wireframes for new products
- Work collaboratively with engineering to design, implement, and test features
- Oversees cross-functional teams to execute against plans
- Works with functional teams including Global Supply Chain and TG, to manage costs efficiently
- Develops product level Business Plans that deliver against the corporate goals for improved student outcomes and market share growth
- Manages product lifecycle management from initial conceptualization, authorization, development, launch, maintenance and sunsetting products
- Liaise between core project team and internal stakeholders (e.g. engineering, editorial, design, marketing, research, QA, etc.) to collect and synthesize feedback, manage/align project schedules, and motivate team.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to assure timely completion of all tasks associated with development process, gather feedback across organization for a continuous improvement model.
- Research and report information about market trends, competitive issues and products, customer issues, and sales force needs to stakeholders as directed.
- Make recommendations for revisions of and extensions for existing solutions, including product customization, new components, and pricing models.
- Create market and business requirements for new solutions that satisfy customer needs and revenue/profit goals.
Product Life Cycle Management
- Analyze financial performance of an assigned product, including investment, revenue, and profitability
- Analyze and evaluate market performance and product positioning of an assigned product
- Benchmark performance of an assigned product against competition and market; implement pricing plans in line with product strategy
- Implement tasks in the product launch and sunset process
- Implement product maintenance plans and manage the phases and gates in the product life cycle
- Work with Product Marketing on go-to-market strategy for new product or solution.
- Identify product positioning strategies. Partner with Product Marketing and Sales to ensure proper competitive positioning for product or solution.
- Serve as product expert across the HMH organization
- Provide support for the sales and services enablement process
- Assist with key customers
- Maintain strong, ongoing channels of communication with sales force and other functional areas within SIS and across the company.
- BS/BA in related discipline with approximately 5-7 years of related industry or functional experience; MBA or Masters preferred--preferably in the content area or in business management or marketing
- Technical background, experience with technology product management or development
- Knowledge of the ELA Core and Supplemental Market
- Proficient use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organized
- Understanding of the Educational Sales Market
- Teaching or Professional development provider experience, experience as an Educational Sales Consultant, or similar experience is preferred.
- Presentation skills
- HMH Product knowledg