Staff Hardware Writer
- Full Time
Does the idea of testing and writing about the very latest tech products—before anyone else does—excite you? PCMag.com, a leading independent tech-review site, delivers deep, lab-based reviews of cutting-edge PC and Mac hardware. We have decades of authority providing comprehensive reviews, rankings, and tech buying advice for consumers and businesses.
We're looking for an energetic, sharp hardware writer and analyst. The analyst will work as part of a team to test and review the very latest gear (laptops, desktop PCs, storage, peripherals) out of PC Labs in New York City.
- Write clear, authoritative reviews, features, tips and advice pieces, product roundups, buying guides, and news stories. Engage in detailed product testing according to established guidelines.
- Maintain strong relationships with tech vendors and aggressively pursue acquisition of products in a competitive environment. (You will help shape our coverage, so you need to know what's next.)
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with vendors.
- Write, edit, produce, and QA copy.
- Appear in videos for both reviews and trend stories.
- Manipulate images, build product galleries, verify and enter product specs, maintain spec database.
- Represent PCMag at vendor meetings in-office and around New York City; generate product preview coverage following from these meetings.
- This is an onsite, full-time position. You must be able to work in our NYC testing lab. No remote workers.
- Bachelor's degree required; English, journalism, or communications grad preferred (or degree plus relevant work experience).
- Minimum three years' experience working for an established Web site, magazine, or newspaper. Tech experience strongly preferred, with review-writing experience and on-camera video experience major pluses.
- Must be able to write quickly, accurately, and cleanly, with high attention to detail and willingness to take and use ongoing feedback.
- A demonstrable interest in consumer technology, plus willingness to learn at a rapid pace. Knowledge of the PC hardware market, including familiarity with devices and manufacturers. Established contacts a plus.
- Must be a self-starter who can multi-task, with the flexibility to shift priorities according to needs of the day, and able to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, competitive, and deadline-driven environment.
- Comfort/maturity level to meet with representatives from major tech companies for briefings, representing PCMag. (On occasion, these may be outside work hours.)
- Familiarity with online publishing platforms and digital image manipulation.
Please include a cover letter that details why you’d be a great fit for this position.