- Full Time
School Library Journal (SLJ), the leading trade magazine serving school and public youth services librarians, seeks an Associate Editor to assign and edit reviews covering nonfiction subject areas for print and online, as well as serve as the editor of Series Made Simple, a biannual supplement covering series nonfiction.
- Recruiting and fostering nonfiction reviewers, contributors, and freelancers Assigning and working with Series Made Simple freelancers Contributing to SLJ review’s social media presence Participating in monthly book review meetings, helping to select the starred reviews and best books of the year Representing SLJ at live and virtual events such as webcasts and conferences Contributing to the program development and planning of live and/or virtual events Writing and/or editing occasional magazine features as assigned Keeping current with nonfiction book trends and library market news, with an eye toward contributing ideas for new and expanding areas of coverage Being SLJ’s resident expert on all things nonfiction and serving as an industry thought leader on informational texts for children and teens
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a broad and deep knowledge of children’s and YA literature, particularly in the area of nonfiction
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced, demanding work environment
- Maintain meticulous attention to detail
- Be able to juggle a variety of competing deadlines
- Understand and be able to recognize and evaluate literature and media for stereotypes and bias
- Have proven writing, editing, and proofing experience
- Be an exceptional communicator and proactive team member
The Associate Editor will report to the SLJ Review Team Manager and will work closely with the rest of the reviews department, including the Reviews Director, in addition to the news and production teams. Familiarity with InCopy and among other platforms and software preferred. While not required, familiarity with library/information science education is highly desirable.
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Flexible Spending Basic Life insurance Supplemental Life Insurance & Short/Long Term Disability Insurance Paid Time Off Paid Holidays 401(k) with Company match
School Library Journal is a Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer.