Politics Editor, People Digital
- Full Time
The Politics Editor, PEOPLE Digital, will be responsible for managing the politics vertical's daily digital coverage, would both write and edit and needs to be able to report and be sourced on the subject matter. The position can be based in either DC or NY.
- Manage a slate of between 5 and 10 digital politics stories every day (both writing and assigning/editing).
- Work closely with the Deputy Editor of the site and the magazine’s politics editor to curate content that is right for the PEOPLE audience.
- Use your own contacts to generate original and exclusive reporting.
- Prepare content to be published off-hours by the morning, night and weekend teams, using your political expertise, as necessary. (For major events, interviews, etc.)
- Shape PEOPLE’s political coverage online. This might mean finding human interest stories that put a human face on policy changes, covering major political developments and viral moments or breaking news with your sourcing.
- Proven: You have at least five years of experience writing and editing clean, clicky copy for a similar site. You understand SEO and audience-targeting on different platforms.
- Self-Motivated: Able to self-publish, but also cautious and hyper-aware of the topics and areas that will need a second set of eyes.
- Smart: Not just your IQ. You instinctively "get" what makes the brand tick, and you are constantly thinking of ways to elevate content to drive traffic.
- Organized: You know how to prioritize so that nothing gets missed.
- Creative: You are constantly thinking of how to meet the audience where it is, and able to tailor content for search vs. social.