- Full Time
The Editor acquires, develops, and edits titles from manuscript to bound book. The Editor is responsible for supporting and building the wine, beer, and spirits, lifestyle, and general reference lists.
• Acquires, develops, and edits titles from manuscript to bound , providing clear editorial direction and acting as project liaison with in-house departments and outside parties
• Presents projects at weekly editorial meetings; creates project plans and P&L (profit-and-loss) statements.
• Remains current and anticipates category trends in above fields.
• Cultivates and maintains author /agent / co-edition / packager relationships.
• Creates well-developed book proposals, including coherent book concepts, analysis of competition, and profitability projections.
• Initiates and negotiates contract terms, liaising with the legal department.
• Presents titles at sales conferences and launches.
• Prepares design briefs, estimate requests, spec forms, and tip sheets (in our Title Management database).
• Partners with art and production departments in strategizing the proposed titles’ design direction, implementation, and overall production cost.
• Attends and provides project updates at bi-weekly production status meeting.
• Brings books to publication on time and on budget.
• 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum 7 years of acquisition/editorial experience in acquiring and developing nonfiction illustrated books.
• Proficiency with Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word (familiarity with electronic editing /track changes, and Excel, as well as Internet research.
• Proven ability to cultivate and maintain working relationships both internally and externally.
• Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong project management, time management, and organizational skills.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills and extreme attention to detail.
•Proven knowledge of book development process.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.