We have an exciting entry-level opportunity for an Editorial Assistant to join Penguin Random House! The Portfolio and Sentinel imprints are seeking an Assistant to work with bestselling non-fiction titles in the business and political categories. Supporting the President and Publisher of the imprint as well as a Senior Editor, this role will provide administrative support, read and evaluate submissions, and help oversee the entire editorial process from finished manuscript to bound book.
Our authors are internationally recognized economists, leaders, professors, CEOs, media personalities, and movement starters, and our mission is to help them refine and position their message, build their tribes, and spread their ideas far and wide. The ideal candidate for this position is a self-starter with a strong interest in current events who would be excited to be at the forefront of the changing landscape of business, work, and politics.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Providing general administrative support to the President and Publisher, including answering phones, taking messages, managing the calendar, coordinating meeting requests, scheduling meetings, booking meeting rooms, paying invoices, preparing expense reports, booking travel arrangements, etc.
* Evaluating manuscripts and writing reader reports for book proposal submissions.
* Logging agented submissions, sending rejection letters, drafting contract and check requests, generating sales reports, and tracking payments and invoices.
* Providing editorial feedback and communicating between authors, agents, and internal departments.
* Writing flap copy, title information sheets, and catalog copy.
* Providing general administrative support to the department as needed.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* Genuine interest in nonfiction publishing
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
* Strong ability to multitask and meet deadlines
* Proven ability to think creatively and critically
* Strong attention to detail
* Excellent organizational skills
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word
* A strong interest in book publishing, specifically non-fiction
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Fodor’s, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.
Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.