Managing Editor, CNBC + Acorns
Location: New York, New York
Function: Marketing & Communications
Specialty: Digital Marketing, Web Production
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
CNBC is partnering with Acorns, the country’s fastest growing financial wellness system, on the importance of educating current and future investors. We are building an editorial and production team to create actionable, relatable and uplifting personal finance and investing content which will inspire and empower everyday Americans to make informed financial decisions.
The Managing Editor will oversee the editorial and production staff to create and deliver custom informational and educational content across digital platforms - including articles, videos, social media and infographics – targeting Millennial and Generation Z audience aligned with an optimistic target brand voice. In this role, the Managing Editor will lead daily editorial meetings, manage a deliverables calendar and direct news coverage. Candidates should have a passion for personal finance, investing and education. This position should be comfortable using social media for news consumption, newsgathering and discovery. Ideal candidates should excel at teasing out fresh angles to cover. Must have experience news editing, line editing and writing with voice. This individual should also have a flair for the fun, creative and unexpected in text, data visualization and multimedia. The Managing Editor will also be leading a team of digital video producers, so experience in video storytelling is a must.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Set overall strategy to deliver specialized news content for digital platformsHire and manage 20+ person editorial and production team including writers, reporters, video producers, social media, graphics, and photographyOversee the creation of comprehensive and compelling specialized editorial contentCultivate unique, actionable personal finance content ideas for Millennial and Gen Z audienceEstablish and meet standards and guidelinesPlan and manage all daily operations Manage daily pitch process, accepting or pushing back on pitches from both the editorial teamsEnsure tone and mix of stories is in line with editorial strategy and standards of target brand voiceManage personnel schedules and enforce deadlines Read widely and monitor and stay ahead of the competition Track and meet target metric goals (UVs, impressions, shares, retention, etc)
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent professional experience
• 8+ years of news writing/reporting/video producing experience primarily for a digital news platform
• Strong writing skills and news judgement, experience in business journalism and interest or experience in personal finance and investing topics
• Must have demonstrated experience with assigning, writing and editing stories, as well as managing staff
• Must be a skilled editor with outstanding communication abilities
• Working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools
• Excellent teamwork and leadership skills, strong work ethic and passion
• Experience managing multifaceted projects
• Proven ability to come up with creative concepts
• Reliability and efficiency
• Detail-oriented problem solver who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment under news deadlines
• Someone with a strong desire to develop creatively
• Ability to think big, outside the box, and to take direction and feedback
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY or Englewood Cliffs, NJ
• Experience on social media platforms
• Experience editing video
• Someone who will behave like a site owner, have big thoughts and the courage to voice them
• A nimble understanding of the changing digital media landscape. Passionate and curious about “what’s next” in digital and proactively pushes the organization to develop systems that will keep up with the evolving ways that people get their news.
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
With CNBC in the U.S., CNBC in Asia Pacific, CNBC in Europe, Middle East and Africa, CNBC World and CNBC HD, CNBC is the recognized world leader in business news and provides real-time financial market coverage and business information to approximately 371 million homes worldwide, including more than 100 million households in the United States and Canada. CNBC also provides daily business updates to 400 million households across China. The network's 15 live hours a day of business programming in North America (weekdays from 4:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. ET) is produced at CNBC's global headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., and includes reports from CNBC News bureaus worldwide. CNBC at night features a mix of new reality programming, CNBC's highly successful series produced exclusively for CNBC and a number of distinctive in-house documentaries.
CNBC also has a vast portfolio of digital products which deliver real-time financial market news and information across a variety of platforms. These include CNBC.com, the online destination for global business; CNBC PRO, the premium, integrated desktop/mobile service that provides real-time global market data and live access to CNBC global programming; and a suite of CNBC Mobile products including the CNBC Real-Time iPhone and iPad Apps.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.