Senior Editor, CNBC Special Project
Location: New York, New York
Function: Marketing & Communications
Specialty: Digital Marketing, Web Production
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
CNBC is building an editorial and production team for a special project to create actionable, relatable and uplifting personal finance and investing content which will inspire and empower the Millennial and Gen Z audience to make informed financial decisions.
The Senior Print Editor will oversee a team of writers to create custom written content for Millennial and Generation Z audience aligned with an optimistic target brand voice. The Senior Editor will be responsible for conveying engaging, informational and educational content about trending market news stories and personal finance and investing content.
The Senior Editor will report to the Managing Editor.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Execute written content strategy set by Managing EditorAssign, manage and edit stories by writing teamEstablish and enforce best practices for the print editorial team, including story selection, headlines and abstracts, in ways that first serve the interests of readers, but also optimize the exposure those stories will receive through search engines, partners and social mediaCollaborate with video and graphics teams to conscientiously package stories in compelling waysSet and enforce aggressive news deadlines Fact-check all content prior to publication and keep the quality of work to a high standardFollow market trends and help generate clear, engaging, and uplifting story ideas and analysis that will be useful to Millennial and Gen Z audienceMonitor competitive digital platforms Special projects as assigned
• Bachelor's degree, or equivalent professional experience
• 8+ years of news writing/reporting experience
• At least 4 years focusing on personal finance or investing, working in digital journalism and multiple years in an editorial leadership capacity
• Strong writing skills and news judgement, experience in business journalism and interest or experience in personal finance and investing topics
• Knowledge of financial markets and terminology
• Ability to break down and explain complex financial topics clearly and concisely for general audience
• An ability to harness data-driven journalism, and to determine when it supersedes a more traditional storytelling approach, or when the two should work together
• Proven editing experience
• Outstanding communication skills
• Proven ability to come up with creative concepts
• Detail-oriented problem solver who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment under news deadlines
• Ability to think big, outside the box, and to take direction and feedback
• Proven ability to work with teams to generate ideas and deliver compelling and competitive digital products
• Familiarity with the operation of content management systems and the principles of search engine optimization
• Excellent leadership, coaching and mentorship ability, strong work ethic and passion
• A collaborator who is comfortable working with journalists of all backgrounds and expertise
• A willingness to recognize and advocate for the interests of team members
• Must be willing to work in New York, NY or Englewood Cliffs, NJ
• Must be able to provide a portfolio or work examples – if available, include a web address when you submit your resume
• An innovator who wants to tell stories in a compelling way via social, mobile and desktop
• Deep understanding of the nuances of packaging for the web, mobile web and social
• A willingness to step up and lead changing editorial goals
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
About CNBC: With CNBC in the U.S., CNBC in Asia Pacific, CNBC in Europe, Middle East and Africa, CNBC World and CNBC HD, CNBC is the recognized world leader in business news and provides real-time financial market coverage and business information to approximately 371 million homes worldwide, including more than 100 million households in the United States and Canada. CNBC also provides daily business updates to 400 million households across China. The network's 15 live hours a day of business programming in North America (weekdays from 4:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. ET) is produced at CNBC's global headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., and includes reports from CNBC News bureaus worldwide. CNBC at night features a mix of new reality programming, CNBC's highly successful series produced exclusively for CNBC and a number of distinctive in-house documentaries.
CNBC also has a vast portfolio of digital products which deliver real-time financial market news and information across a variety of platforms. These include CNBC.com, the online destination for global business; CNBC PRO, the premium, integrated desktop/mobile service that provides real-time global market data and live access to CNBC global programming; and a suite of CNBC Mobile products including the CNBC Real-Time iPhone and iPad Apps.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.