- Full Time
The Morgan Library & Museum invites applications for the position of Editor. We seek an energetic, creative individual with exceptional editorial skills. The Editor is responsible for a broad range of materials published by the Morgan, including but not limited to exhibition catalogues, exhibition brochures, wall panels, exhibition labels, and other didactics. The Editor will collaborate closely with curators and outside authors to rewrite, reorder and correct content. This position will organize and shepherd publications through each stage of production, i.e., manuscript, galleys, page proofs, composed proofs, and printing. It will also provide direction to outside vendors, such as freelance editors, proofreaders, designers, and printers. This position reports to the Publications Manager and supervises an Assistant Editor and Editorial Assistant.
The Morgan Library & Museum is committed to diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree desirable
- Minimum of five to eight years of editing experience with a demonstrated record of meeting deadlines and producing heavily illustrated museum quality catalogues. A keen interest in the arts and humanities is also desirable
- Excellent verbal, writing, and editing skills
- Outstanding syntactical, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and language skills
- Thorough knowledge of reference resources and style/usage manuals
- Solid understanding of the book production process
- Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and careful attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and deadlines
- Ability to complete projects within deadlines and budgets
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software required; familiarity with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop is desirable
- Strong supervisory skills
- Ability to work extended hours reading, writing, and using the computer
To apply: Interested applicants should e-mail cover letter with salary requirements, resume, and a list of publications worked on.
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit our needs.
The Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, marital status or domestic violence victim status.