Competitions Manager/Director, Daytime Emmy Awards
- Full Time
The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) seeks a career-minded, detail-orientated, innovative and technology-driven individual to join our Daytime Emmy® Awards team. The role presents an empowered opportunity to be a standard-bearer for the premiere recognition of excellence in the television industry, with a particular focus on the varied genres of “daytime” television, including soap operas, children’s and culinary programming, and game, talk, and courtroom shows.
This new team member should possess a positive and inquisitive personality and be comfortable working in an “all hands on deck” small-team environment. The Competitions Manager/Director (final title commensurate with experience) is based in our New York City headquarters, reports to the Executive Director of the Daytime Emmy® Awards, and assists in managing all aspects of the Daytime competition. They also work closely with the Executive Producer of the Daytime Emmy® Awards and the directors of Awards Operations and Technical Operations.
The individual in this role will be expected to become at ease with all facets of the yearly competition of the Daytime Emmy® Awards and be prepared to assist in the three other signature competitions: the News & Documentary Emmy® Awards, the Sports Emmy® Awards and the Technology and Engineering Emmy® Awards. The typical day may include reviewing Emmy® Award entries, helping to guide and instruct entrants through the Emmy® rules and processes, organizing judging panels and other events, preparing instructional or other content for the Daytime Emmys® digital communications channels, or gathering and organizing data on the progress of the competition.
Challenges & Responsibilities
- Quickly develop knowledge of the rules of the Daytime Emmy® Awards competition and its more than ninety categories.
- Learn, understand utilize the software that handles the entry, review, and video submission process and the judging system.
- Field submissions inquiries, and other community outreach to the competition administration team.
- Monitor and maintain the awards database.
- Track incoming payments for entries.
- Gather, record and update judges’ contact and profile information and assist in the assembly, preparation, and management of judging panels and sessions.
- Assist in reviewing and revising contest rules, schedules, and other administration.
- Generate and analyze reports reflecting competition metrics.
- Attend and help organize and support meetings of the National Awards Committee.
- Assist production staff as needed for awards ceremonies and other events.
- Create instructional or other content for the Daytime Emmys® digital communications channels and print products such as guidebooks and nomination recognitions.
- Additional tasks as assigned.
Success in this role is measured by:
- Effectiveness in addressing entrant questions and concerns, as measured by the volume of clarification requests around rules, average inquiry response times, entry error rates, and other metrics.
- Accuracy and timeliness of the awards and judging databases.
- Expansion of judging pools and engaged communities.
- Qualitative feedback from colleagues, partners, and competition participants.
- Other measures of overall competition health, such as participation growth.
Preferred candidates for this position should have:
- A liberal arts, media production, or related educational or career background, ideally with 5 to 10 years of relevant experience. (Some preference given to candidates with particular experience in the Daytime television community.)
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, and written and verbal communications skills. (Some preference be given for Spanish language proficiency.)
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends, and to travel (domestically), particularly during awards entry-deadline, judging, and ceremony periods.
- Complete comfort in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, mainstream social media platforms, and other standard technology tools. (Some preference given to candidates with particular skillsets in digital marketing, design, video production, and/or database management.)
- An ability to “check ego at the door,” partner with stakeholders across various disciplines, work toward consensus, and be a team player.
The National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) is a service organization dedicated to the advancement of the arts and sciences of television and the promotion of creative leadership for artistic, educational and technical achievements within the television industry. It recognizes excellence in television with the coveted Emmy® Awards for News & Documentary, Sports, Daytime Entertainment, and Daytime Creative Arts & Entertainment programming, as well as achievements in television Technology & Engineering.
NATAS membership consists of more than 17,000 broadcast and media professionals represented in 19 regional chapters across the country. Beyond awards, NATAS has extensive educational programs including Regional Student Television and its Student Award for Excellence and the National Student Production Awards for outstanding journalistic work by high school students, as well as scholarships, publications, and major activities for both industry professionals and the viewing public.
NATAS is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the life experiences and diversity of our team, our members, and the vibrant community of creative professionals we serve. We offer competitive medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits, paid time off, and professional development opportunities.
For more information, please visit the NATAS website at www.emmyonline.tv.
How to Apply
Apply online via the link provided.