Director, Consumer and Marketplace Insights
Posted: 11/29/2018 | Expires: 12/29/2018
Location: New York, New York
Function: Marketing & Communications
Specialty: Planning & Strategy
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Requisition ID: 27063
The Role: Director, Consumer & Marketplace Insights
* Penguin Random House, the world’s largest trade book publisher, is hiring a Director of Consumer Insights to join our U.S. Consumer Insights team. The Director will oversee PRH’s reader segmentation research and corresponding insights and communications, as well as lead research initiatives for strategic partners.
* Deeply understand readers to ensure our books, authors, brands, and communications meet their needs.
* Drive and promote a reader-led culture across PRH.
* Focus on data storytelling and generating insights that distill data in a way that is meaningful and accessible to a broad range of stakeholders.
* Collaborate with a team of inquisitive and dedicated researchers and insights analysts.
* Lead implementation and activation around reader segmentation research throughout the organization.
* Lead research initiatives for strategic partners; surface trends and insights to the corporate marketing team for activation across channels.
* Deliver persuasive, insights-driven presentations to senior leadership and on-the-ground teams across sales, marketing, publicity, publishing, and corporate groups.
* Support the corporate teams in developing insights-led campaigns & partnerships.
* Draw key insights from primary and syndicated research into consumers, readers, authors, genres, titles, topics, and brands.
* Build relationships with senior-level contacts and on-the-ground teams. Become an expert in client business initiatives to scope projects, develop new research opportunities, and expand the impact of consumer insights at PRH.
* Minimum 7+ years of market research or consumer insights experience required. BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience, MBA or other relevant Master’s degree are a bonus.
* Proven track record of developing and delivering compelling insights-driven presentations – excellent written, verbal and visual communicator.
* Expert at making data actionable, contextually relevant, and compelling - a true storyteller!
* In-depth knowledge of research methods, including segmentation, consumer trends, datasets, and quantitative/qualitative approaches.
* Experience applying research methods to understand and activate parents and children a major plus.
* Background in media, entertainment, or products or services targeted to kids/parents preferred. Publishing experience is not essential.
* Experience applying research & insights to retail experiences a bonus.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.